Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's Bright Idea Was It To Put A Ferris Wheel On The M50?!

Options
  • 03-09-2004 8:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭

OK, WHO WAS IT THEN? OWN UP YOU LOW LIFE!

It's early September, the schools are back and traffic is back to their usual bumper-to-bumper volumes.

Then somebody decides to make it worse by putting a ferris wheel on the M50, causing everybody to almost stop to have a good old rubber-neck look at it.

What the ####! You might as well put traffic lights on the motorway! At all times of the day the traffic gets hold-up at this point (on the eastern side of the motorway across from the B&Q superstore).

How long this OBSTACLE is going to be there is anybodys guess. If anybody does know please let us know. Or better still, tell us who allow this THING to be put there!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrhappy42

I HATE rubber necking or people who slow down on the big bends on the M50...keep moving. could find nothing on the web about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭mackerski

PH01 wrote:
    You might as well put traffic lights on the motorway!

Nah, that's an old idea - they did it already. Twice.

Dermot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

I noticed that coming back from the airport on Friday evening at around 9pm.

The traffic was backed up a bit approaching it (with lots of brake lights visible). I thought there was an accident - but no - it was just rubberneckers.

how the hell did they get permission to put something so distracting there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

I see the ferris wheel is back in it's crazy position again this year. I assumed that it would not be allowed again this year due to the impact it had on the M50 last year.

Is there planning required for this thing or what, and does anyone have any suggestions as to who to contact with a compaint on this ?

There must be a way to stop this next year !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Every year they put it there, every year the same rubber necking goes on. *sigh*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Can I ask what rubber necking is?

Is that something that everone slows down to look at even though there is nothing blocking your side of the road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

micmclo wrote:

Is that something that everone slows down to look at even though there is nothing blocking your side of the road?
    It's also known as being a nosey cnut! Happens at accidents,people slow down to take a good gawk.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

micmclo wrote:

It's where the driver sneaks a look to the side and back to the front again about twice a second while passing.

Not only do they slow down, but you also tend to move in the direction you face so drifting would not be unusual.

Advertisement