Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

building a house in ireland

Options
  • 02-09-2004 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭

I was thinking about building a house in Ireland. I'm sick of people saying, "oh, you'd build a huge house for 150 grand, with change".

Can anyone give me answers to how much it REALLY costs, and how difficult it is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

zag wrote:
    I was thinking about building a house in Ireland. I'm sick of people saying, "oh, you'd build a huge house for 150 grand, with change".

Can anyone give me answers to how much it REALLY costs, and how difficult it is?

Building your own house is probably the most affordable way to obtain your own home. And depending on how you go about it you can achieve even bigger savings.
    There are two basic ways you can build your own house (assuming that you have a site), and one is getting a builder to do the whole thing and the other is doing the thing by self-build.
    Getting a builder is probably the easy way to do it and depending on what part of the country you're in the cost can range from €100 to €130 per square foot.
    Self build is cheaper, but you'll have to do all the project management, hiring and firing, and the management of funding the building yourself. And you might find that in the end you're not saving that much by doing it all yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Victor wrote:
    How long is a string?

Good answer, it is possible to build a "mansion" for 150 grand and have change even if you buy the site for say 35 thousand euro, a friend of mine is building a 3200 sq ft house surrounded completely in old stone and is going to have finished ready for furnishing for just over 130 grand and thats after spending 44 grand on the site!!!

But he like myself is completely self sufficient down to only having to hire someone into do the wiring and thats only because it has to be certified.

It all depends on how much work your willing to put into yourself and how much skill you have at laying out/measuring/block laying/plastering/roofing.... the list is endless.

So if you would like a rough estimate post up what your thinking about building and where etc...

Farlz

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Very open ended question and really is impossible to gauge without you actually knowing what you want to build.
    As said a guid price of 100-130 or 150 per sq foot can be used.
    Going with a builder will probably cost you 15% more but as Farls said you more you do yourself the more you save.
    If you take into account anything within the house, floors, tiling, painting, kitchen, plumbing, plastering, roofing etc if you can do any of them yourselve then you will obviously save money.
    Again it depends on the size of the house, the materials you want to use, straight nap finish is less expensive than say a stone cladding.
    Then on the stone side of things if you go with Prefabricated stone this is cheper than say Fernhill, which in turn is cheaper than natural stone.
    If you put down laminated flooring this is cheaper than semi solid which in turn is cheaper than solid.
    If you go for solid timber kitchen as opposed to a flat pack or express kitchen.
    You can see where I am coming from.

A good guide though is to use the highest price of 150 per sq foot to get an idea.
    Then if it is a self build you could say 70 or 80 per sq foot.

Gluck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I'm in a similar frame of mind , wondering how much it will cost to build of the fiance's dad's land .

I would hope that we could build a 2500 sq ft (Circa) house for under 150k. I myself am not proficient at any part of the work but would hope that my brothers in law would help along the road , one is a plasterer , another a carpenter and another what is commonly known as a jack of all trades ,only in this case a pretty good one at everything he throws his hands to. With the lads help I'd try to do any of the donkey work myself . Two cousins of mine told me that when i start to give them a shout , one said he'd do the plumbing for me and his brother said he could do the groundwork.

I haven't been to an engineer yet so maybe I'll get blown away when I do but I doubt it , I reckon it can be done.

Anyone known of any decent but reasonable engineers in the Mountbellew/Ballygar direction ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

ffs Don't involve family in something that will be remembered for a life time.

A builder will screw you for any changes after the contract is signed.

Materials cost sfa and in many cases have gone down in price over the years. It's the skilled labour that costs the money.

The spec will usually have a huge impact on the cost.

Good Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 PolMac

I am building a house 2800 sq ft in wicklow for under 200k complete. The actual house build cost including windows and door, heating system, attic conversion is under 140k. For ref the builder is www.scanhome.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Fuiseog

3-6 months for planning/land registry issues
    2 years to finishs (best case you'll get in in a year and finish up while in it)
    Minimum €150,000 to build. Add the cost of any fancy stuff to this baseline figure.
    Then there's the cost of the site which depends on where you are.

And it is a complete pain in the arse. Only thing that can be said for it is that you get the house you deserve in the end

Advertisement