Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clive Woodward resigns!!!!

Options
  • 01-09-2004 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

Apparently the PA has put out a report on the news wires that Clive Woodward has resigned as England manager because he wants to try his hand as a soccer coach!!!!!!

Wait a minute!!! It's the first of September, not April!!!!

Should be on the major sports web sites (and RTE and BBC) fairly soon.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Jilm

It's also unclear if Woodward is still going to coach the 2005 Lions NZ tour.

If he doesn't, you'd assume EoS would get the nod for the job :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Jilm wrote:
    It's also unclear if Woodward is still going to coach the 2005 Lions NZ tour.

If he doesn't, you'd assume EoS would get the nod for the job :confused:

Don't be so sure. Sir Bobby Robson is out of a job at the moment....... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

maybe its because he knows that despite the slagging by every other rugby nation on earth, he cant win another world cup with just Johnny Wilkinson's boot. With Dallaglio gone, thats really is the last of the old guard that where the backbone of his team gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I think its the right decision & well done to him...

So many of these guys go on after they've reached their pinnacle of achievements & end up with egg on their faces.

Lets face it, he's wone the World Cup with England, but now faces re-building a team without Martin Johnson & Lawrence Dallaglio. No easy task & one that could possibly do with a fresh pair of hands. Lets face it, the post WC results havent's been great.

I say good luck to him - always nice to try something fresh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Latest News.

The 48-year-old, who is not at Twickenham on Thursday, left English rugby's London HQ on Wednesday saying: "As far as I am concerned I am still England coach."

And the RFU denied that it had refused to accept Woodward's notice, as it had not been tendered.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/international/3613610.stm

So he's still there until they decide how much to pay him !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭ALLGOOD

really unbelievable news that Woodward is actually going to try and win the world cup in soccer as well as rugby (yes, that is what he is trying to do),
    and with him out of the Lions picture its going to be Eddie O'S as head coach :O (which will be great - - - for Eddie that is ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭beer enigma

World cup in soccer.....think thats a bit unlikley.

I'd doubt that he will go any further than club level

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

ALLGOOD wrote:
    really unbelievable news that Woodward is actually going to try and win the world cup in soccer as well as rugby (yes, that is what he is trying to do),
    and with him out of the Lions picture its going to be Eddie O'S as head coach :O (which will be great - - - for Eddie that is ;)

Woodward is still the Lions coach according to most of the news reports so i wouldn't start jumping for joy just yet. Anyway i wouldn't like O'Sullivan as Lions coach. The Lions have a lot to make up from the last tour and he would be scrutinized a alot instead of concentrating on the 6 nations. We have a good shot this year :D

Who is goin to be the Lions Captain O'Driscol,Wilkinson,Charvis ??????????

Who the captain is depends who the head coach is, but on another note I think if this particular Irish team does not win the Grand Slam in 2005 they never will, they've been building to it over the last 3 years and there should be no excuses this time, even allowing for 2 - 3 injuries ! - you listening eddie :D

daveirl wrote:

Sure! :)

O'Connell ? Never thought about that, right he is an imense player thats for sure but do you really see them taking him over O'Driscoll ?
    I'd love it, chuckle chuckle, If O'Driscoll would stop fe*k arsing around smoking and train a bit harder then he'd be unstopppable again, but each to there own.

O'Connell mmmmmmm........he's got my vote :D

Johnsen coming back i doubt it but if he does and he gets into the squad after playing no international rugby,there will be war in the ranks,
    Never know if that happens try entice Keith Wood out of retirement :p (hehe)
    Unfortuanetly no goin to happen

Not the same as International though. I dont care what anyone says.
    He has had his time anyway.Captained the Lions twice,Captained a Team to the World Cup.Thats why he left he didnt fail anywhere.
    Dont c him coming back. Anyway wasnt he in a car crash recently or was it someone in his family? I dunno,but it would be nice to c someone else captain the Lions this time round :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement