Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new Penrose book

Options
  • 29-08-2004 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

anyone read the new Penrose book - supposed to be a guide to the whole of physics?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Yes, I read it, or rather am dipping in and out of it...very good book to have but not one to read in 2 hours...I liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

i'll get it soon i think - doesnt look like one to read on the train OK :) - I liked the feynman books, it looks to be in the same vein

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭planck2

there is a lot more maths in it, than the feynman lectures I think.

i should be ok with that with a maths MSc :)

that's good to know. It's great when you have sufficient maths background when reading modern physics texts. i am starting a masters in maths physics in a few days in ucd where did you do your msc?

• Advertisement

Warwick. Not pure maths mind you, but enough to get by :) Though I'll struggle a bit with tensor fields and that kind of stuff.

A good book on tensor analysis on manifolds is the one by Bishop and Goldberg, however a little knowledge of topology maybe required first.
    J.L. Synge and A.Schild also wrote one called Tensor Calculus. maybe you might be able to help me with a problem I posted on the maths site. :D

Advertisement