Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poll: Stargate SG-1 - 8x08 - Covenant [Spoilers]

Options
  • 29-08-2004 2:35am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So whatcha all think of this? I thought it was reasonably interesting as it dealt with some elements that have always interested me about massive conspiracies - namely keeping it all under wraps. Here we saw that contracts had been handed out outside direct government agencies. Other people, with enough connections, can figure out what's going on. It's also good to see that the Antartica battle wasn't 100% covered up - it's something they've always hinted at being problematic but here it came to fruition.

I also enjoyed our first look (unless I'm mistaken) at the Alpha Site Ver. 2. Given its importance as a backup, it's about time we got to see it - even if it was only a glimpse.

On the other hand, the episode title - Covenant - gave away the fact that they'd have to make a pact with Alec by the end of the episode. We've been having almost one-too-many "we're going to reveal the Stargate" episodes and anymore and I will be miffed......

No real character development this episode, although it was nice to see Carter firmly believe in how the SGC public involvement has been handled so far...

Which leads me to the question: Should the SGC and Stargate be revealed to the public? On one hand, I want to believe the humanitarian and idealistic views that Alec held. On the other hand, we know how much idiocy there is in the world and I can understand Carter's POV. Aside from the fact it would change the dynamic of the show, do you think the gate should be revealed? I think we're not ready for it yet but be interesting to see if others disagree.

How would you rate Stargate: SG-1 - 8x08 - Covenant? 8 votes

Excellent
    0% 0 votes
    Good
    12% 1 vote
    Average, nothing special
    87% 7 votes
    Poor
    0% 0 votes
    Dreadful, up there with "Emancipation"
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

I think it should be revealed

i enjoyed this episdoe was quite good i do like these type of episode tho.
    Also yes u are right it was oyur first look at thge alpha site ver2 and it looks quite nice but if u notice the stargate didnt seem to have a iris...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I think the show should never reveal the existence of the Stargate. The cover-ups and secrecy is what gives the show its ties to a realistic world - you can imagine yourself existing in the Stargate universe in the same way as you are now. If they were to reveal the existence of the Stargate, it takes that away, and I think that would be a little detremental to the show.

I thought the episode was a good one. I liked the undercurrent sub-plot of the damage Alec did by persuing his vision to the exclusion of all else, even if it was for the right reasons. I think it highlighted the enormous damage the pursuit of such a goal can do, and probably a microcosm of what might actually happen if they were to reveal the existence of the Stargate.

I'm slightly surprised at the end to the story, with no progress being made against the cartel of ex-NiD and businessmen. I thought the episode was going to end with the whole debacle being productive in some way, in the end. Alas, no.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

mr_angry wrote:
    I'm slightly surprised at the end to the story, with no progress being made against the cartel of ex-NiD and businessmen. I thought the episode was going to end with the whole debacle being productive in some way, in the end. Alas, no.
    Nope, not surprised. Joseph Mallozi said, in an online interview URL=http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s8/making/807.shtml]here[/URL that this episode, originally, due to take place before last week's "Affinity". So it's here that the SGC - and Daniel - first learn about the Trust and that's how Daniel knew about them in last week's episode, "Affinity" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

ixoy wrote:
    Nope, not surprised. Joseph Mallozi said, in an online interview URL=http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s8/making/807.shtml]here[/URL that this episode, originally, due to take place before last week's "Affinity". So it's here that the SGC - and Daniel - first learn about the Trust and that's how Daniel knew about them in last week's episode, "Affinity" :)

Ah well that does make more sence now....

I thought it was a good ep, I liked the way Alec's mate was reacting to the whole thing. It kind of proved Carters POV. But then again. I like the Alec Charter my-self and would like to see more of him.

I like the "earth" eps my-self and I like the way they are dealing with them more and more in S8. It kind of shows that after 7+ years, they are having problems keeping it under raps to everyone. A very good sub plot to the main season arc... of which I'm yet to fully understand.... :confused:

Advertisement