Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Tools?

Options
  • 26-08-2004 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm gonna be doing a lot of diy/renovating soon.

I'm very short on tools so i'm gonna buy me a nice shiny set!

I'm wondering which brand is seen as the best and where are good tool shops
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I wouldn't go mad on spending a fortune on all the expensive makes of tools. The cheaper ones are just as good I find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

Hello narommy

start with the basics until you familiarise yourself to using them,then you'll be a better judge of whats needed-where the best place to spend your money on the tools you actually use on a regular basis.

the place to spend your money is on good quality sawblades and drill bits as buying cheapest is false ecconomy in my opinion

Wilco/Wilkensons do a good range of non power tools.

With power tools though many of the own label brands are a little underpowered for anything other than light labour,compare the power output between brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

narommy wrote:
    I'm wondering which brand is seen as the best and where are good tool shops
    thanks

Generally speaking you pay for what you get, so more money is usually better quality.

What I tend to do these days is consider how often the tool will be used, if its going to get a lot of use, a good tool will save a lot of heartache. If it's only the odd time, some cheap POS will do.

A good screw driver set and drill are always worth the money

Shops that I like are B&Q and McQuillans
    Good brands - some Stanley, Bosch, Skill, Higher end Black & Decker

For hand saws, these are pretty much disposable these days, so a cheap and cheerful is the way to go.

A definate must is a cordless screwdriver/drill. Doesn't have to cost the earth but will save you hours of pain

I went to Heiton Buckleys in the Robinhood Ind Est and got hand tools there cheaper than at Woodies or B&Q, so worth calling in there.

A set of Mixed Stanley screwdrivers will last a lifetime and their hand saws are godd quality also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 mishmash

On http://www.webshop-ireland.com there are the following sections...
    Hand Tools| Hardware | Ladders | Power Tools | Safety | [URL=href="http://www.webshop-ireland.com/mode/tools_uk/node/10917791/locale/uk/]Storage[/url]| Top Selling DIY Equipment
    You can find anything there! .... there's even a robotic lawnmower if you look hard enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Lex Luthor wrote:
    I wouldn't go mad on spending a fortune on all the expensive makes of tools. The cheaper ones are just as good I find.

Strongly disagree here, ok sometimes you can be lucky and find something cheap that lasts a long time but thats normally because you haven't used it with real pressure.

When it comes to tools i stick to the good makes and you really get what you pay for, and if your like me there's nothing better than a new power tool to play with!

The stuff i would use would be DeWalt, Mikitta, Bosch, Hitachi in that order.

Then if its just spanners/hammer etc draper are the ones to get, stanley's not too bad either....i'd be more upto date on power tools tho

Farlz

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

Thanks for the suggestions.

I think i'd end up going for DeWalt because i'm that kinda guy (I loose things so bright yellow would be easy to find)

I'd say Lex would have point re Heitons Vs Woodies etc.

Thanks
    John

narommy wrote:
    I'd say Lex would have point re Heitons Vs Woodies etc.

Thanks
    John
    Ya, I bought a shower enclosure (bi-fold type) in Heitons yesterday about €40 cheaper than the main DIY stores. Much better quality also..

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

Another good place is McCarthy's in Prosperous, Co. Kildare.
    They give a good cut to most people. Haven't been in there for years tho but i hear it's still the same. Not sure about their tools tho?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

"Originally Posted by Lex Luthor
    I wouldn't go mad on spending a fortune on all the expensive makes of tools. The cheaper ones are just as good I find"

Also disagree bought some cheap power drill in Argos burnt out in 3 months a load of horlicks to be honest, maybe you can be lucky but I am looking on ebay at a set of DeWalt from US for 485 sterling brand new. Mikita, DeWalt are the way to go.
    Stanley for screwdrivers and saws also. You do get what you pay for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭JimmyL

Visit the Building Expo 2004 at the RDS (on now) if you are interested in buy good tools cheap (some half off list - well worth the €10 if you're not trade and you can always make up your own company) - DeWalt has hugh stand there.

If are really serious about your tools, have a look at Festools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 trollster

cheapest tools u can get are what u want, trust me I'm a builder....lol, no point shelling out large wedge on stuff thats gonna burn out anyway......with what you pay for cheap tools you can buy more , besides there is a limited time on all tools, you can buy 3 mickeymouse drills or one brand name........the 3 mickeymouse ones will last mucho longer, try Lidl or Aldi for some xlnt offers

Advertisement