Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos Home Delivery Service

Options
  • 26-08-2004 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

I got 2 wardrobes delivered to my house yesterday from Argos. Both were in flat packs. The drivers said they could not take them up stairs due to the fact that the boxes both weighed over 40kg each.
    It doesn't say anything in the catalog about this but does say that they can refuse on grounds of Health & Safety.
    Just as well I ordered flat packs, so at least I could break them open and bring them up in pieces, but ifthey were fully built wardrobes, they'd be still sitting in my hall.
    Just a FYI.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Lex Luthor wrote:
    I got 2 wardrobes delivered to my house yesterday from Argos. Both were in flat packs. The drivers said they could not take them up stairs due to the fact that the boxes both weighed over 40kg each.
    It doesn't say anything in the catalog about this but does say that they can refuse on grounds of Health & Safety.
    Just as well I ordered flat packs, so at least I could break them open and bring them up in pieces, but ifthey were fully built wardrobes, they'd be still sitting in my hall.
    Just a FYI.

Did you not stamp your feet, throw a tantrum, and insist that you lowly working class type bring those flatpack up those stairs this instant!
    Usually works for me! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

PH01 wrote:
    Did you not stamp your feet, throw a tantrum, and insist that you lowly working class type bring those flatpack up those stairs this instant!
    Usually works for me! ;)
    Answer to that is 'NO' :o
    I asked why and they said it was to do with the wight of the boxes so what can you say to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Lex Luthor wrote:

To quote the Argos site:
    Large and bulky items

Large and bulky items will be delivered to the room of your choice†, usually within 14 days. If delivery is currently longer than 14 days, this will be shown when you add the

With additional information:
    † We'll deliver any large and bulky item to any room, provided drivers do not feel there are any health and safety issues such as a staircase which is too narrow, or there is a danger of damage to the customer's property.

Sounds more like you goot the lazy crew, complain to Argos!!

Borzoi wrote:
    To quote the Argos site:
    Large and bulky items

Large and bulky items will be delivered to the room of your choice†, usually within 14 days. If delivery is currently longer than 14 days, this will be shown when you add the

With additional information:
    † We'll deliver any large and bulky item to any room, provided drivers do not feel there are any health and safety issues such as a staircase which is too narrow, or there is a danger of damage to the customer's property.

Sounds more like you goot the lazy crew, complain to Argos!!
    They spun a line that it was a new policy of it being > 40kg. Told me they had someone from Health & Safety coming out to issue them with harnesses and how to instruct them to lift heavy goods up stairs and they had loads of people out with back problems.
    Like you say, I got the lazy crew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

You sound to me more like a spoiled unappreciative ignorant git :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

hmmm 40kg's is nothing between 2 men. They copped out. I used to delivery furniture as a part time job years ago when I was a student and we brought the goods to where the customer wanted. We delivered full dresser units, beds, flatpacks you name it. The most hated places to deliver to were apartments with narrow staircases.

I agree with Borzai I would complain to Argos about the inconvience that it caused you.

I did the same - except I delivered antigue furniture. No delivery past the 'Front door' unless the - Drinkies - money appeared. Cop yourselves on :p

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ahh Paddy your just not service orientated ;)

Then again that was 18 years ago and everyone tipped. I have a feeling that it wouldn't be the same anymore. This country has changed in attitude so much, people are greedier and more self centred these days.

Ahem,it was 40 years ago. I did it full time for 6 Months with a contractor for one of London's most distinguished auction house's.

The contractor had set prices per item delivered "To the front door" only, of any premises within circles on a map expanding outwards from the central London antique auctioneers.

We used to work a 12 hour day.Really hard physical work [Antigue furniture weighs a ton] When we arrived we would ring the bell and if there was a sign of life, we would plonk the invaluable antique at the front door, ask for a signature of delivery, and then the fun began. We would point out the contract clause that they had paid for delivery only. The facial expressions were priceless. Then we would climb back into the lorry cab and wait for the pleading and screaming to begin, then the financial 'strictly cash in hand' negotiations would begin. God we made a bloody fortune. Mind you those sod's could afford it.

Most enjoyable six months work I ever did, and I became so fit, I used to hit the town every night and never knew what it meant to be tired or exhausted. Those were the days, oh the memories, the memories ;)

Paddy20 wrote:
    You sound to me more like a spoiled unappreciative ignorant git :mad:
    Explain yourself..!!!!!!! :mad:

f they say "to the room of your choice", then it should be. Their words, not MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Explain yourself..!!!!!!! :mad:

f they say "to the room of your choice", then it should be. Their words, not MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, obviously no point in trying to explain anything to a numbskull, who refuse's to cop on. Delivery men are human beings who are trying to earn an honest living. They did not write the damned Argos delivery terms & conditions. They also have the right to use their own discretion as to whether or not they are going to hump your order up the [dangerous] stairs. Health and safety acts, etc, etc.

Up the worker's ! everytime.

Go and waste your time complaining, if you think it will make the slightest impact. :p ROFL :D

BTW, Your Handle/Name really suit's you as well, excellent choice, very tasteful indeed ?.. :cool: Lex.

Paddy20 wrote:
    Sorry, obviously no point in trying to explain anything to a numbskull, who refuse's to cop on. Delivery men are human beings who are trying to earn an honest living. They did not write the damned Argos delivery terms & conditions. They also have the right to use their own discretion as to whether or not they are going to hump your order up the [dangerous] stairs. Health and safety acts, etc, etc.

Up the worker's ! everytime.

Go and waste your time coplaining, if you think it will make the slightest impact. :p ROFL :D

BTW, Your Handle/Name really suit's you as well, excellent choice, very tasteful indeed ?.. :cool: Lex.
    you're the guy who humped furniture for a living so who's the numskull?

Lex Luthor wrote:
    you're the guy who humped furniture for a living so who's the numskull?

Dear Mr Luthor,

I earned an honest living for 6 Month's doing a temporary job. Stop showing yourself up as being the 'snotty nosed snob' that I thought you were all along :) .

BATMAN*, Batman !!. where are you when I need you ?.. Holy mackeral, even Robin* on his own could sort this one out :eek:

Paddy20 wrote:
    Dear Mr Luthor,

I earned an honest living for 6 Month's doing a temporary job. Stop showing yourself up as being the 'snotty nosed snob' that I thought you were all along :) .
    Just cos I wouldn't give some ignorant jackeen a back hander for doing his job, you have come to the conclusion that I'm a snob. If he's paid to do a job, then he should do it. Just cos you feel a little sympathy for the poor guy cos you feel you harbor a 40yr old fraternal bond to him, doesn't give you the right to label me as you feel. As for being a snob, you're the one harpin on about the fact you worked for "one of London's most distinguished auction house's"....delivery boy is a delivery boy no matter if it was for the Queen or the back street shop. You don't know me from Adam...the inconvenience this caused was unbelievable. If this was an old pensioner who had used this service, would you have expected her to slip them a twenty also? Get REAL!!! :rolleyes:

PH01 wrote:
    Usually works for me! ;)

That's what PHO1 stated at the start of this thread. Say's it all really. Now, go blow your nose, it's full of snot :p, and try taking a 'Chill out' pill. Nobody's been killed.

Paddy20 wrote:
    That's what PHO1 stated at the start of this thread. Say's it all really. Now, go blow your nose, it's full of snot :p
    just did and at least it's green.....

Advertisement