Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART out of action.. again..

Options
  • 25-08-2004 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭

Dunno about anyone else.. but I am so sick of hearing about the DART not running between station X and station Y. Seems like every day there's something up with it. Even when it is running it's usually late! And what's the generic excuse for being late? "..the late arrival of a train".. Genius.
    Such an bad service, I don't know how they get away with it..

Tonight: No DART's between Dalkey and Greystones. Again.

Keep up the good work CIE, yer playin' a blinder!

K. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Again.. this morning.
    Dart only ran as far as Connolly. Then we all had to get off and get on the one behind it. 10 minutes later it turned up, and took an amazing 10minutes to get from Connolly to Clontarf Road...

Sorry to be going on about this.. but it's really starting (continuing) to p*ss me off..

Kevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

yeah i find it pretty pathetic that after all the time they spent "upgrading" the wiring southside over the last year that even though that phase is supposed to be finished they are still having problems with the wiring between dalkey and bray.
    i'd also say that 3\4 of the darts i've ever gotten on the north side take 10 mins to go to\form connely to\from clontrarf road.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

How is it CIE's fault if little scumbag knackers interfere with the overhead powerlines? I admit it's annoying (my commuter train was delayed 20 mins yesterday evening because of the Dart powerline problems), but what can they do, they can't police every mile of track to check for little pikeys throwing rocks at trains and messing with the power lines. Just hope they get 150,000 volts through them, that'll teach them manners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

It's something every few days,
    How did you get home yesterday Kev?
    I hear the Gorey train stopped at Dalkey and then ran straight..... say it musta been packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

The wires came down somewhere near Shankill. It must have been fun and games alright!

There are a number of factors which are affecting services between Connolly and Clontarf Rd.

1st: A long term speed restriction of 20MPH due to the port tunnel works (this has been accounted for in the timetable).

2nd: There is currently a tempory speed restriction of 5MPH through Connolly platforms 5, 6 & 7. This is due to track renewal works between Connolly and Ossary Road Junction in connection with the DART upgrade.

Its all for a better servicein the end!

And for those who crib about a crap service. Delays and incidents can happen anywhere at anytime on any railway company. Your trying to make it seem as IE just do it for the fun - ah sure lets make our passengers journey home tonight a pain in the butt.

Cop on to yourself.

ENTERPRISE
    NCC1701-D.

• Advertisement

enterprise wrote:
    Delays and incidents can happen anywhere at anytime on any railway company..

Agreed.. But delays and incidents occur everyday on the same routes. Delays and incidents which could be avoided if they just learned from experience. One example is 90% of Southside DARTs stopping outside Bray for 5minutes, occasionally with an announcement 'we're waiting for a platform to clear'.. :rolleyes:

K.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

Well Bray does have only two platforms with a very instensive service so delays can occur outside esp in the Rush hour when trains have to wait for a platform to become clear.

ENTERPRISE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

enterprise wrote:
    Well Bray does have only two platforms with a very instensive service so delays can occur outside esp in the Rush hour when trains have to wait for a platform to become clear.

ENTERPRISE.

Bray also has a very restricted layout south of the station, something that AFAIK is being altered atm/soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

enterprise wrote:
    1st: A long term speed restriction of 20MPH due to the port tunnel works (this has been accounted for in the timetable).

How much longer will this go on for? Both tubes have been dug at this stage and I'm sure they've secured directly under the railway lines by now.
    2nd: There is currently a tempory speed restriction of 5MPH through Connolly platforms 5, 6 & 7. This is due to track renewal works between Connolly and Ossary Road Junction in connection with the DART upgrade.

You'd wonder why they wouldn't work flat out on somewhere like Connolly to get it back in action quickly.

As for the DART upgrade, why don't they start in town and move further north. IE finish Connolly, Tara, Clontarf Road and then the following weekend the DARTs can go as far as Clontarf Road. Then do Killester and Harmonstown etc. Then each week less and less people will be interrupted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

eth0_ wrote:
    How is it CIE's fault if little scumbag knackers interfere with the overhead powerlines? I admit it's annoying (my commuter train was delayed 20 mins yesterday evening because of the Dart powerline problems), but what can they do, they can't police every mile of track to check for little pikeys throwing rocks at trains and messing with the power lines. Just hope they get 150,000 volts through them, that'll teach them manners.

Well thats the 1st I've heard of that. presumed it was just a shoddy job. Must be happening down near Bray or Shankill, that kind of nefarious carry on would never be perpetrated by residents from Dalkey or Killiney...

• Advertisement

The Thrills are from Dalkey aren't they?

Maybe it was someone trying to stone The Thrills for being complete and utter w*nk, and accidentally brought down one of the power lines.. that would make sense. Forgivable too..

K.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How much longer will this go on for? Both tubes have been dug at this stage and I'm sure they've secured directly under the railway lines by now.
    Different construction method. The bored tunnels end in fairview park.
    You'd wonder why they wouldn't work flat out on somewhere like Connolly to get it back in action quickly.
    Because "work[ing] flat out" leads to errors and errors lead to accidents.
    As for the DART upgrade, why don't they start in town and move further north. IE finish Connolly, Tara, Clontarf Road and then the following weekend the DARTs can go as far as Clontarf Road. Then do Killester and Harmonstown etc. Then each week less and less people will be interrupted.
    Baecause each station needs several weeks work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

There are only so many people that can work on one station at a time. It would be far slower to do it station by station. And seeing as most of the work that has to be done is the same for all the stations it just makes sence to do it at the same time.

eth0_'s right though. It's just nacks ****in' up the whole thing. There are so many incidents a week, and only some of them require stopping trains.

Anyway if it's such a bad service why the hell do you still use it? Because even with all the stoppages it's still the best/fastest way of getting from A to B. And once the upgrade is complete it will be even better.

Btw work on the southside stations isn't supposed to be finished. Just the weekend work.

Advertisement