Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting Kildare - Sandyford

Options
  • 24-08-2004 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi,

I moved out of Dublin and wouldn't mind knowing what the commuting time is like from Sallins - Sandyford Ind. Estate. I ahve been told everything from 30 mins - 1hr +. :rolleyes:

Would I be better to go by car down the M50 or is is easier to go to Heuston->Stephens Green->Luas?

What time do you really need to be in/out of the place at?

Cheers,

datonster

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

Assuming you need to be in Sandyford by 09.00 I would recommend you get either the 07.28 (06.45 x Portlaoise) or 07.36 ex Sallins (07.28 ex Newbridge).

Getting from Heuston to the Green is the sticky point. Suggest you get a 91 from Heuston to the central bank and walk up the side street to Stephens Green to board the tram. Trams run every 5 minutes at that period so I would reckon you would be in Sandyford by 08.50ish.

There are plans to change the 91 route - it is propsed to operate from Heuston - O'Connell Bridge - College Green - Kildare Street - St. Stephens Green (Interchange with LUAS Line B) - Dawson Street - College Green - Westmorland Street - Aston Quay - Heuston.

However I do not know the start date of this new routing, maybe when the LUAS red line opens?

Enterprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

i'd say you would be quicker by car , you might be quicker cutting across to the N81 rather than trying to get up by Newlands Cross. Sandyford is right beside the M50 as you know, not sure what the traffic is like in Sandyford at the minute. Don't think it would take 1h30 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Plus it depends where abouts in the Sandyford estate you are going. It's no good arriving at the LUAS depot at 08.50 if you have a 15 minute walk to get to the office every morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 datonster

silverside wrote:
    i'd say you would be quicker by car , you might be quicker cutting across to the N81 rather than trying to get up by Newlands Cross. Sandyford is right beside the M50 as you know, not sure what the traffic is like in Sandyford at the minute. Don't think it would take 1h30 though.
    What road is the N81?

Cheers to everyone who has answered so far. :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

What part of the Industrial estate do you have to get to? Do you know the name of the street? Traffic can be very dodgy in the estate coming up to 9am and you could be stuck for up to 15 minutes depending on where you want to get to. Likewise, any time between 1700 and 1900 the traffic leaving the estate going on to the M50 is pretty heavy also. If you are going to be working a 9-5 job I would try my best to get in by Luas if you are within walking distance of it.
    I have been living in the Industrial Estate for the last 10 months, and the heavy traffic has made me have to change my working day - I now do 11-19 to avoid it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

datonster wrote:
    What road is the N81?

Dublin/Tallaght/Blessington

Intersects with the M50 at Tallaght.

there is a road from Naas which links to the N81 (the N82 I think). you cut from Naas and join the N81 south of Tallaghts, head in to the M50, and join it towards Sandyford.

Not sure if it is a good route now, but that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Thanks to all who replied. THat link to the map is fierce handy!

datonster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭halkar

With car, 1 hour when there is no school and 1.30 or 2 hours when schools open :D I use Dublin Mountains via Johnnie Fox's Pub, with the new roads opened to Sandyford mountains left empty ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Dublin/Tallaght/Blessington

Intersects with the M50 at Tallaght.

there is a road from Naas which links to the N81 (the N82 I think). you cut from Naas and join the N81 south of Tallaghts, head in to the M50, and join it towards Sandyford.

Not sure if it is a good route now, but that's it.

To get onto the N81[N82] you can turn off the N7 at Rathcoole and head up through Saggart or drive through CityWest to the far end where it meets up with the same road. Personally, I prefer the CityWest option. Saggart is fairly twisty with lots of speed bumps and traffic can snarl up a bit, whereas CityWest just has lots of roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Move? :D Altough when the Luas read line starts up, you should be able to park in the Red Cow and Luas / bus / Luas to Sandyford or train -> Heuston, Luas to city, Luas -> Sandyford.
    silverside wrote:
    i'd say you would be quicker by car , you might be quicker cutting across to the N81
    N82? Through Citywest.

Advertisement