Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dart doors

Options
  • 24-08-2004 8:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,389 ✭✭✭

Anybody know why the doors connecting the carraiges of the Darts are only to be used in an emergency, however the doors between trains can be used whenever?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,389 ✭✭✭fletch

I know its a weird question but come on somebody must have some idea

• Registered Users Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭highdef

Not too sure but my guess is that because the passageway between carriages is so narrow, there's a chance of getting injured/squashed a bit if the train is crossing over on points. Have you ever looked through the passageway when the DART is making its way to/from Connolly Station on the northside of the station? I wouldn't fancy standing in the passageway along there!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,389 ✭✭✭fletch

Not too sure but my guess is that because the passageway between carriages is so narrow, there's a chance of getting injured/squashed a bit if the train is crossing over on points. Have you ever looked through the passageway when the DART is making its way to/from Connolly Station on the northside of the station? I wouldn't fancy standing in the passageway along there!
    Suppose that all makes sense, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

ever witness someone asking a piss in between the dart carriages?

yeah and then kids come one and for some reason they find it fascinating to go up and down the train leaving the doors open as they go which bang and are really hard to close you sorta have to bang em closed really hard but at the same time making sure the handle stays straight horizontal

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

fletch wrote:
    Anybody know why the doors connecting the carraiges of the Darts are only to be used in an emergency, however the doors between trains can be used whenever?
    What do you mean when you say the "doors between trains" fletch?

(it's been a few years since I was near the Dart so I'm obviously missing something obvious)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

sceptre wrote:
    What do you mean when you say the "doors between trains" fletch?

(it's been a few years since I was near the Dart so I'm obviously missing something obvious)
    There is a series of emergency doors between carriages on Dart trains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

i think he means darts and diesal _trains_

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Ahem. Yes. Disregard the earlier post.

I think he meant the little walkway between carriages used with locomotives, normally where they stick the toilets on intercity trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I was on the very first official Luas to leave Sandyford for town. This was the one where two stops on, some idiot stuck a bottle in the doors. We all had to get off and two more trams, packed with people, passed by before an empty one came for us. So although we were first to leave, we were only third to arrive. We were cheated of our moment in history :( all because of the idiot that had to stick something in the door! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭morlan

chewy wrote:
    ever witness someone asking a piss in between the dart carriages?

I have actually done this. The windows are high enough so that none of the passengers can see what you're actually doing. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

morlan wrote:
    I have actually done this. The windows are high enough so that none of the passengers can see what you're actually doing. :o

Well aren't you a cool cúnt?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I was on the DART the other day, and some nice lady was having a smoke between the carraiges.. I couldn't believe my eyes. Crazy beatch.
    K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Trains like the Dart and Arrow are designed as short distance trains and with this in mind they are designed without having to create a passageway for everyday use. You will not get squashed in it passing points as someone here mentioned. And chewy, they cant go up and down the train, only from one carriage to the next joining one, they are married couples afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Hanginthere

No one has ever stoped me using the doors to avail of a seat ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

fletch wrote:

They wouldnt be very useful in an emergency if you couldnt use them whenever, as you can never predict an accident.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Trains like the Dart and Arrow are designed as short distance trains and with this in mind they are designed without having to create a passageway for everyday use. You will not get squashed in it passing points as someone here mentioned.

Some (if not all) of the arrows are designed differently and you can walk from one end to the other freely, even from one "train" to the other, provided the doors are unlocked. This means they can be used on longer journeys, as through the internal doors people can access the toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Thanks chewy & maxheadroom - makes sense to me now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭morlan

Dr. Loon wrote:
    Well aren't you a cool ****?
    Eh, it's not something I'm proud of. Also, your language offends me - please edit.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

FX Meister wrote:
    And chewy, they cant go up and down the train, only from one carriage to the next joining one, they are married couples afaik
    Nein. It's true of the old DARTs, but on the newer models you can walk the full length of the train. It's something I'm almost tempted to do, so I can scream at the train driver when he keeps us standing still on the train track for ten minutes without the manners to make an announcement :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

ixoy wrote:
    Nein. It's true of the old DARTs, but on the newer models you can walk the full length of the train. It's something I'm almost tempted to do, so I can scream at the train driver when he keeps us standing still on the train track for ten minutes without the manners to make an announcement :mad:

You can only walk the length of one unit, some of the new units are 4 car some are 2 car. You cannot get from one unit to the next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Dr. Loon wrote:
    Well aren't you a cool cúnt?
    Tone it down.
    morlan wrote:
    Eh, it's not something I'm proud of. Also, your language offends me - please edit.
    You might be being sensative, seeing as you are the one who create the initial offense.

Advertisement