Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equation of the tangent to the curve & more (urgent.. crunch exam tomorrow)

Options
  • 23-08-2004 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Ok.. Maths repeat is on tomorrow for me so I'd be really greatful for your assistance in these few sums. I think I did alright in the Programming repeat but I'm worried about maths.. its pass this or repeat the year. :o Each of these is 5 marks, I just need my 40!

1.gif
    In (i) do I need to go 10 to the something and have it .0051 (4 places).
    In (ii) Probability has me confused
    2.gif
    It's not transitive as not all the lines intersect L2 but is equivelant?
    3.gif
    I understand I'm to get the Equation of the line which is y-y1=m(x-x1).. Am I correct in thinking you get m by getting dy/dx of y? Then slot in (1,3) and there's you're answer?

thanks a mil to anyone who answers, really appreciate it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Saint

number 4. yea you differentiate that equation at the point (1,3) to obtain m, then use your formula.
    Number 2. There are 5 numbers that are divisible by five between 1 and 25, there for the probability of getting one is 1 in five, of a fifth. There are 4 numbers between 1 and 24 (24 because you didn't replace) that a devisable by 6 therefore the probability of getting 1 is 1 in 6 (4 divided by 24) now since the events happen together multiply their probabilities and take away the probability of both happening at once ( which is zero as no number between 1 and 25 is divisible by both 5 and 6) ans = 1 over 30. I.E one in 30 change.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Emerson wrote:
    2.gif
    It's not transitive as not all the lines intersect L2 but is equivelant?

You've done the hard work of figuring this out and justifying it, you just need to trust the definition. If it's not transitive, then it can't be an equivilence relation. And to justify it in your head, imagine L1 being parallel to L3, then L1 R L2 and L2 R L3 but the relation doesn't hold from L1 to L3.

Not sure about question 1, the terminology isn't familiar to me. What course are you doing, it's obviously some sort of maths for computer science module? (I did maths for computer science, but never encountered 'chopping').

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

Its Computer Applications Maths, yea..

thanks for tips ecksor & saint... anyone else know no.1?
    They're pretty similar every year, so having one example will do the world of good for me :-)

Advertisement