Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rome Total War

Options
  • 23-08-2004 6:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Rome total war demo is out today if anyone has any sites to dl the demo off could they kindly post em here. please

Thnx :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I got it from easynews (but you have to pay for that).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

I've only a modem, so I won't be d/ling the demo. But kindly post your reviews here, as I'm a big fan of Shogun and Medieval, and I'm really looking forward to Rome TW. Also, post your machine specs too and how smoothly the game runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

AHHHH!!!! MUST DOWNLOAD WHERE? WHERE?

now i am a happy bunny gimme a try.

anyone got the min specs for running it?

http://www.3dgamers.com/games/rome/

http://www.fileplanet.com/files/140000/144640.shtml

http://tinyurl.com/66v85

Minimum System Requirements

• English version of Microsoft® Windows® 98SE/ME/2000/XP

• Pentium® III 1.0GHz (1000MHz) or Athlon™ 1.0GHz (1000MHz) processor or higher

• 256MB RAM

• 8x Speed CD-ROM drive (1200KB/sec sustained transfer rate) and latest drivers

• 300MB of uncompressed free hard disk space

• 100% DirectX® 9.0b compatible 16-bit sound card and latest drivers

• 100% Windows® 98SE/ME/2000/XP compatible mouse, keyboard and latest drivers

• DirectX® 9.0b

• 3D hardware Accelerator Card Required - 100% DirectX® 9.0b compatible 64MB Hardware Accelerated video card and the latest drivers*.

ATI® Radeon 7200
    ATI® Radeon 8500
    ATI® Radeon 9000
    ATI® Radeon 9500
    ATI® Radeon 9600
    ATI® Radeon 9700
    ATI® Radeon 9800
    All Nvidia® GeForce 2 and higher

Important Note: *Some 3D accelerator cards with the chipsets listed here may not be compatible with the 3D acceleration features utilized by Rome: Total War™. Please refer to your hardware manufacturer for 100% DirectX 9.0b compatibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

*starts downloading* yay

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Looking foward to this indeed. Going need to find a download manager though. Anyone got any bittorrent links?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭satchmo

Any more servers out there? All the 3DGamers ones seem to be full (although there's a bittorrent link there Azza), and a 45-minute wait on FilePlanet :(

I could upload it to someones webspace/ ftp site if they had enough room for 141mb. Would setup my own Server if it weren't for UCD's pesky firewall!!!!

well just had a go of it...just the toturial. not the battle.

and i have to say i'm a bit meh.

it is sure pretty

but they have fiddled the orriginal controls too much. Its like GC2 they changed too much. The controls are now like starcraft and doesnt really suit the huge numbers in total war. the cavalry seem to move as if they are on ice (literally they hit 60mph far too quickly) the camera controls are very fidgity (at times i got stuck looking in one direction unable to circle around to my troops)

the big selection of tactic buttons at the top are gone replaced by tiny buttons in the bottom corner. the map has been changed from the nice big translucant one to a traditional map in the bottom left corner.

it sure is pretty though. But the controls better be smoothed out or else offered to use the old hud. the tutorial itself was nice how they gave names to the commanders etc making it personal but it is clearly the most simplistic of tutorials as it doesnt really tell you much outside camera control and moving troops.

my final gripe...it is less personal (despite naming the characters) i felt then the original. took me 20 minutes to find the zoom in control. which was after the battles. which was a pity as i was so zoomed out and my men seemed so...quiet that i didnt cheer for them when they got into fights. the info of how they are fighting is funny but difficult to make out as its not the usual bright white.

the tutorial was a disapointment

now the battle i havnt got to because i was told to get back to work (8-)) but i did see the opening of it and it looked interesting with how they described the background of the battle with a in game cinimatic.

anyway i gotta slip away back to work cya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

I feel like im on BBC2.

I found the controls ok, but thats cause i didn't play shogun much so can't really compare. Yeh it is pretty.

The tutorial seemed ok to me, i was zooming in and out pretty quickly. ;)

I found the camera ok, not sure what the problems you found with it were blitzkrieg...it's a bit differently managed from other strategy games but it seemed fairly straight forward.

The cavalry do seem to skid around a bit, i noticed that too, need a bit more realistic acceleration.

Looks like a bit of work to get used to it, but probably worth it. Will post more when i play more.

• Advertisement

yeah i fixed my prob with the camera's (simply put i went into options and turned off alot of restrictions and binded the controls to buttons i was comfortable with)

for realism you can restrict the camera to your commander only...which is kinda cool. if you wanna *put yourself* into the battle.

but i still perferred the medievil hud...it was easier to use and keeping track of your units was easier.

pity they didnt showcase the city battles in the demo that would have secured anyones purchase.

p.s the flash file that comes with it is pretty cool...

does anyone know when that history program decisive battles is on...i wanna see!!!

Any Ideas which graphics card will this game will run better on X800 pro/xt or Geforce 6800 gt/ultra?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

i was reading a review about the demo and they said this is a taste to whats too come as there working out most bugs ! so dont worry lads im sure they'll fix yer problems ye have :D im only dling now cant wait :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

well, i played it for the last hour, and its quite good, i am big fan of the total war series and have been really looking forward to this

graphics: new 3d armies :D map is all 3d too and has all those new wavey grass and nice water effects, nice seemingly endless map effect, i used 1600x1200 and all effects turned to max and it ran smoothly on my 9800pro, zoomed far out it nearly looks like age of myth

sound: typical total war goodness, nice drumming battling music, impressive shout from your troops when selected or ordered, good tutorial voice over explaining things effectively

controls: feel fine, select a group with right click, send them somewhere with left click, double left click to charge, and all the usually stuff, i found the camera fine, once i reconfiged the controls a bit

bugs: battling armies just didnt interact to my liking, some units would just do nothing when they could be fighting, i am a big age of conquerors fan where the interaction between troops is perfectly polished so this bug is annoying, hopefully it'll be fixed before retail version

gameplay: maybe a little too fast, i didnt really have time to enjoy the battle and i had to pause a lot, it plays alot like the other total war games at least the battle section anyway, be cauious, try flank enemy while protecting own flank, watch for unit tiredness and moral, maneurve for higher ground and finally charge when time is right

the tutorial: very basic, for the beginner, attack archers with cavalry, hmmm

the battle: you have the roman army completely surrounded, just send each group to attack nearest enemy group and youll win, it all happens a bit too fast, elephants are great :p

overall: looks stunning, full 3d game now, with a bit of refinement this could be a classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ian25

Great list of download locations l3rian. :eek: Downloading now.Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

How could you not find the zoom in and out controls ? the litle + and - beside the map OR mousewheel up or down..it even tells you that at the start...

Loverly graphcis but the demo is really short ! I want this game!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Played the tutorial and battle last night. Pretty good all round, definately worth purchasing in the near future. Hope they make the battle sounds a bit louder though. Was kind of dissapointed. My men seemed too quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

The demo wasnt too bad, but it definately shows potential, them city siege's look really awsome, even if you dont capture a city you can just catapult everything inside the town into submission so the towns no longer worth defending, very nice touch. The elepants in it are also hidiously fun, heh, just charge a close up scrap and these big massive lines appear where the elephants trampled through, class altogether :) Only problem I have with it so far is that the map doesnt seem as clear as it used to be, and you cant zoom the camera out as much as you used to. Definately looks liek the campaign in it will be the best few weeks wasted ever though :)

Well my impression of the demo was good but not much content (but for the realatively small size of the demo I was not expecting much). The only real complaint is the hud layout others have mentioned above. Buts its a very minor problem. Graphical the armies and landscapes are greatly improved. The horses now leap over people realisticly and the routing the enemy is also more realistic. October 1st is the release date apparantly. Its going on my list.

• Advertisement

a. i dont have a mouse wheel.

b. pressing the + - on the screen wastes valuable plotting time.

played the second half of demo. The battle is fun and i forgive my earlier doubts about the units after playing wiht those elephants. The camera still annoys me as does the map. But overall i am massively impressed and i will pick this up when its released.

only snag in the historical battle is the lack of positioning your troops yourself. I dont know if this was in medievel (never played historic battles) but i really love trying my own defence strats...(wonders what it would have been like with elephants coming up behind the romans...muhahahahahaha!!!

I reckon that battle was roughly based on the historical deployment of the troops for that particular battle. I would assume it allows you to deploy your troops in the campaign mode, quick battles and multiplayer as it did in Shogun and Medieval Total War. I'm certain it would case up roar if it wasn't. Defensive deployment is such a key tactical feature it would put the defenders at a huge disadvantage.

Really enjoeyed the demo, the level of detail is superb - has the potential to be the no 1 RTS evah! Can't wait for this to come out, and the EA LOTR RTS hopefully will give it a run for its money...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ian25

It's been suggested that the demo uses the "arcade style" battle system, which would account for the fast pace and hideous green triangles on selected units.If you look at the flash movie that came with the demo, under playable factions, you will see a picture of the menu screen with the option to enable the "arcade style" battle system.
    On screen controls are a bit sparse, but nothing a few hotkeys wouldn't sort out, and the camera takes a bit of getting used to but is functional all the same.Watching the elephants rip through the Roman front lines up close and personal is a real treat :D .

Advertisement