Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intersecting Subspaces in N dimensions

Options
  • 22-08-2004 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I have a little problem here:

given two subspaces U and W both of dimension two of an N dimensional space show in general that if N = 3 the intersection of U and W forms a curve; if N = 4 a finite number of points; and N > 4 they do not in general intersect at all.

I can kind of visualize the answer for the first two cases based on analagous cases lines viewed in R2 and R3, but I am not really satisfied with the answers.

I would like a really rigorous maths proof.

please help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭charlieroot

I may be wrong on this but, suppose the N=3 and U = V. Then the intersection would be 2 dimensional and hence a plane?

If N = 4, then if you have one point in the intersection surely you have infinitely many points - you couldn't have a finite number of points?

If N > 4, if U = V then of course they'd intersect?

We are talking about vector spaces with external multiplication by Q right?
    I'm guessing we're not? Are we talking about finitely generated modules?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭planck2

Just before I answer, what do you mean by external multiplication Q ? Do you mean external multiplication by the set of rational numbers?

I don't know what finitely generated modules means since I haven't done maths since the end of my second year in university? Any way I don't think they have any relevance since this question appears in a book on tensor calculus by J.L. Synge and A. Schild published in the 1950's, old, but definitely not out of date.

Now back to the question. As you know a space of N dimensions requires N co-ordinates to determine the position of a point in that space. A subspace of this N dimensional, lets call it B ( the N dimensional space being called A),i is formed when the N co-ordinates of the space A can be written as a function of parameters, the number of these parameters can be anything from 1,....,N-1. If the number of the parameters is N-1 then a hypersurface is formed in A, i.e. B forms a hypersurface in A.

Now if I have a space A of N dimensions, and two subspaces B and C both of dimension 2 we know that the co-ordinates of A can be written in the following way:

Ai = f i(B1,B2) and Ai = gi ( C1, C2).

Now if B and C intersect then we can only have f i(B1,B2) = gi ( C1, C2), with Bj = Ck.
    Note that j doesn’t not necessarily equal k, and at the same time we cannot have Bk= Cj since if we did B would equal C. If N = 3, i.e. the dimension of A is 3, then the B ∩ C simply gives the parameterized equation of a curve. However for me the problem lies in the extension of the proof to higher dimensions for the same line of reasoning gives the same result in spaces of dimension N ≥ 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrhappy42

curve = straight line
    "finite number of points" = single point

would be interested in your proof.

Advertisement