Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any reason NOT to get a conservatory?

Options
  • 20-08-2004 9:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi

Have recently moved house & I'd like to extend the dining room slightly. I think a conservatory may be the most cost effective way to do this.

Anyone know of any reasons why this might be a bad idea, I've heard that they can get too hot & can therefore be rendered unusable. However I'm planning on something quite small (maybe even a lean to) and at a max of 3 metres x 3 metres (10 ft x 10 ft).

Also do you know if you can get proper roofs instead of glass/perspex.

Cheers for any advise you can offer.

DIY Queen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Reason number 1: Price.
    Does the cost of building one enhance the value of your property by the same amount? If it doesn't, then don't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭robbe

Hi,

Had one done in previous house - some negatives

1 Could be too hot sometimes (glass roofed) even with the vent/windows open - the solution here could be conservatory blinds which can be v expensive or a home made approach (something like muslin draped across the roof)
    2 In winter could get cold due to heat loss through the roof. In addition some conservatory companies/builders wont fit proper radiators (or where they do fir them they dont check if the boiler has the capacity to run it or dont insulate the pipes correctly- all in all they would rather fit an electric heater which can be expensive to run.

You can build a 'sunroom' which is essentially a conservatory with a tiled roof which would prob give better insulation etc. Like a lot of these projects if you're aiming to get your money back you probably won't, but you may make your house more saleable/enjoyable which has its advantages. Alternatively you could win the lotto/rob a bank and build an extension (see my other thread re building costs). Good luck whatever you decide

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I think sun rooms make more financial sense and look like they are more part of the house....however if you have a small garden and it will take up a lot of its space, it could have a negative effect.
    What is the reasoning for extending the dining room?

We had the same dilemna a few years back where we needed more space downstairs, so we actually put 2 bedrooms on up stairs over the existing converted garage and utility room. It had a knock on effect where I could move my games room/office up stairs to the box room and the converted room could now be used for the kids as a play room getting us more space downstairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 DIY Queen

Cheers for the responses, I should have explained a bit better, the kitchen & dining room are all the one room going across the back of the house & I wanted to extend the dining room part of it to give a ittle more space say for an armchair or two -just wanna make the entire room that bit more liveable / homely.

We've just recently moved & we'll be there for the long haul so making back the money on our spend won't 'really' come into it. We need to change out all the windows too so I guess the deciding factor will be the price of the entire job.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

robbe wrote:
    2 In winter could get cold due to heat loss through the roof. In addition some conservatory companies/builders wont fit proper radiators
    Many "all glass" conservatories won't comply with building regulations and can't be heated.

Doubling the size of a conservatory may only increase cost by 20-30%.

Having a conservatory / living room / dining room might be a bit big and suffer draughts / cold spots.

Blinds and proper ventilation should help control temperature variations. Apex ventilation can be a problem with conservatories.

If you put on a solid roof, what does this do to the lighting in the dining room?

• Advertisement
Advertisement