Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North and South of the Liffey!

Options
  • 19-08-2004 11:30am
    Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any figures to show the ratio of infrastructure investment for Dublin, North and South of the Liffey? It seems to me that the Southside get's everything first and the Northside is constantly being ignored. Even with the reconstruction of O'Connell Steet, it was the South end of it that was done first. There are 2 LUAS lines and both of them are for the Southside, despite the huge population and Airport on the Northside. Can anyone explain this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Well about 2/3 of the city lies on the south side.

There is information on popluation desity and so on on Dublin.ie but the maps are incomplete. For many of them they don't even go out to the M50.

But take a look at:
    http://www.dublin.ie/index.asp?locID=220&docID=-1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jlang

Oh come on. The Northside has the only airport, the only spike, the biggest stadium, the only bus station, the biggest islands and most of the beaches, cheaper house prices, ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

If you may have noticed majority of plans include both "sides" of the city. Just they never finish the total plans and end up doing the first phase and leaving it at that.

How can you say the Northside is being ignored anyway? Didnt you notice the gif M50 thing that was built, not to mention the Dublin Port Tunnell aswell. And lets not forget the plans for a Luas or Metro/Heavy Rail Link to the airport that are currently being worked on.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

The M50 supplies all of Dublin, and badly at that. The Port Tunnel is mainly for trucks and will really only benefit the Quays, while at the same time churning out crap loads of extra heavy traffic onto the North side of the M50. And as for 'plans' of a Luas or Metro to the Airport. That's all they are, plans! Even when it comes to broadband, the southside was serviced first by practically all companies, before moving on to the Northside. There's a lot more influential people living South of the Liffey is my theory. And the reason there may be cheaper houses on the Northside is for the exact reason I brought up this topic, lack of infrastructure!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

LFCFan wrote:
    Even with the reconstruction of O'Connell Steet, it was the South end of it that was done first.

The whole of O'Connell street is north of the Liffey. :rolleyes:
    LFCFan wrote:
    There are 2 LUAS lines and both of them are for the Southside, despite the huge population and Airport on the Northside. Can anyone explain this?

And 2 of the 4 commuter rail lines are north of the river.

What is it with this Irish mentality that people are always begrudging any development outside their own patch, it is just so petty and myopic.

• Advertisement

John R wrote:
    The whole of O'Connell street is north of the Liffey. :rolleyes:

I said the south end of it. ie. the end closest to the southside and I wasn't being serious about that part.
    And 2 of the 4 commuter rail lines are north of the river.

yes, half of the rail lines. ie. the southside has them too.
    What is it with this Irish mentality that people are always begrudging any development outside their own patch, it is just so petty and myopic.

It's got nothing to do with development outside my patch. I live in West Dublin anyway. I was asking if there were any figures to show expenditure north and south of the liffey. And it's not just North and South Dublin that's like this. Dublin and Leinster get preferential treatment over the whole country. There's not 1 inch of motorway outside Leinster for example. I just think there should be better spending all over the country to improve Ireland as a whole and not just certain parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

LFCFan wrote:
    There's not 1 inch of motorway outside Leinster for example. I just think there should be better spending all over the country to improve Ireland as a whole and not just certain parts.
    Em, while it's not labelled as motorway the Limerick bypass was all built to Motorway standard (seperation of carraigeways, 70mph roads, no junctions - all flyovers etc.)

fcuk it. Ingore me. I'm in a foul humour today :(

Advertisement