Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City centre rail alignments

Options
  • 19-08-2004 2:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,286 ✭✭✭✭

I was poking around on http://www.dto.ie/orbitalroutes/citycentre.htm (may need Adobe SVG Viewer - availabile on site) and I'm just wondering if the Stephen's GReen - Connolly alignment is "useful".

Also stations on virtually any map stations are indicated by dots, when in reality they should be indicated as rectangles to indicate the platforms. There is of course the qualification to this that while the platform may be in one place, the exit might be in another. It's a fair haul from Connolly platform 7 to the Luas stop. Likewise exits are suggested the south end of the platforms for Tara Street, which would make the dot at the other end a little meaningless.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭EvilDoctorK

Interesting map on that page Victor ... but surely this isn't proposing yet another orbital road route around the city centre .... surely this would conflict with the inner/outer ring routes with the crazy signs that were implemented last year ?

As regards the Rail Aligment question . it's very far east - doesn't bring anywhere new onto the transit network like an interconnector (or even the original Airport Metro) would.. also it would reinforce the dependence on congested Connolly Stationl... would be useful if you took the Luas Sandyford line and worked in the IFSC .... but apart from that not really a lot of benefits to recommend it vs. competing ideas I wouldn't have though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

What I was trying to establish is whether land is being set aside in suburban areas for future rail or tram lines. I knw that certain areas have space reserved for future roads. Anything for rail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Rredwell

I think there is scope for at least one new Luas line that would fully integrate the city centre's transport - a new line from the Green to the Airport, via:

Kildare Street (seeing as trams can't turn up Dawson)
    Nassau Street
    College Green
    O'Connell/Abbey (connect with Red Line)
    Parnell Square
    Dorset Street
    Drumcondra Road
    Santry

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

cant turn around Dawson? - Thats a load of crap, created by a certain anti-LUAS person. I hope he is eating his words now after how sucessful it has been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

Rredwell wrote:
    Kildare Street (seeing as trams can't turn up Dawson)
    Nassau Street
    College Green
    O'Connell/Abbey (connect with Red Line)

As I guess you know, that was part of the original CIE plan, before the DTO stole the Harcourt St. alignment for a line that will never get built.
    Rredwell wrote:
    Dorset Street
    Drumcondra Road
    Santry

That's pretty much the northern end of the planned Dundrum-Ballymun Luas line. The current Luas^H^H^H^HMetro to the airport proposal follows a very similar route.

I'd love to see all the proposed Luas lines get built, along with IÉs interconnector. I don't expect it to happen though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

There are plenty of sharp bends on the Red line. The Dawson St. turn would either require the street to be dedicated to trams or shared with trams. Perhaps the powers that be believe that trams and cars can't coexist on the same street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

BrianD wrote:
    There are plenty of sharp bends on the Red line. The Dawson St. turn would either require the street to be dedicated to trams or shared with trams. Perhaps the powers that be believe that trams and cars can't coexist on the same street.
    and busses too...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,286 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Interesting map on that page Victor ... but surely this isn't proposing yet another orbital road route around the city centre .... surely this would conflict with the inner/outer ring routes with the crazy signs that were implemented last year ?
    It is that one, except for the recent changes on St Stephen's Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

BrianD wrote:
    Perhaps the powers that be believe that trams and cars can't coexist on the same street.

The available evidence hints strongly that, in Dublin, cars and other cars can't coexist on the same street. Why complicate matters further?

Dermot

Advertisement