Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two simple questions?

Options
  • 18-08-2004 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

Why are there NO activist groups in this country campaigning for gay marriage?

Why does it appear to me that an overwhelming amount of people here and on other boards seem all to eager to settle for some sort of civil union?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Why does it appear to me that an overwhelming amount of people here and on other boards seem all to eager to settle for some sort of civil union?

Answering both in one single rant:

There are activist groups but they seem to be closed to the public. There are two organisations that I know of who apparently lobby the government but are most difficult to get in contact with. Yoda will tell you more as he has been doing all the enquiring of late about these things. Theres the Gay and Lesbian Task Force and , urm somebody else. I posted about them before on this forum.

Another factor is myself and Yoda attempted to try and motivate gay people to back us on this idea and to be brutally honest nobody could give a flying f***. Gay people today are unmotivated and too relaxed about the unequal situation they find themselves in. It appears to me that the glory days of activism and campaigning are gone. We hear plenty of "Great idea guys, I'll support you, but I'm not the campaigning type person so I'll stand in the back and keep quiet" type responses. So I'm wondering is there any surprise when these activist groups are not talking to the community ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

See this thread.
    Right now we have no rights. I will certainly take some rights over no rights any day. Full equality is the goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Because some of us believe that a clear cut civil union is preferable to an outdated and much tarnished heterosexual institution such as marriage ?

Advertisement