Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

console price cuts

Options
  • 18-08-2004 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭

PS2 reduced to £105 and xbox reduced to £100, announced today
    there should be price cuts in ireland to relfect this or just import from the uk

i remember a thread within the last month predicting this, i couldn't find the thread but wanted to say to that guy, you were right :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

That makes it €155 for a Playstation 2 and €148 for an Xbox.

Think I'll wait till the PS2 drops another €50 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

what would that bring irish shop prices down to? I'm sure its not just a case of simply converting the currencies, that'd be too easy.

edit: heh posted while i was typing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Stephen wrote:
    what would that bring irish shop prices down to? I'm sure its not just a case of simply converting the currencies, that'd be too easy.

yeah, they'll likely have a higher price here
    thats if they bother to cut the prices any time soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thats good news for me since I've been informed that my PS2 is completely FUBAR and the laser replacement is ridiculously expensive since I have a ****ty Version 5 PS2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

Yeah it was £80 to get my m8's lazer fixed so offcrouse he decided fuk that and bought a new one, pretty gay that fact that sony still charge to get it fixed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

That makes it €155 for a Playstation 2 and €148 for an Xbox.

Think I'll wait till the PS2 drops another €50 or so.
    san andreas goodness for €200 + a memory card...
    pretty ****ing tempting tbh :confused:

get rid of the sig, joe. its far too long.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If I got another console I could probably kiss goodbye to ever getting a degree...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Damn good pricing. Very tempting package with Pro Evo 4 and San Andreas but then again, Pro evo 4 is gonna be on pc...but still San Andreas *drool*

And agree about joe90's sig. Not even mildly entertaining let alone funny. Just annoying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If I got another console I could probably kiss goodbye to ever getting a degree...

I got a 1.1 top of my class degree and i own ever current generation console, a decent PC, a PS and a Sega Saturn and more games than I can finish in this lifetime. It is do-able

• Advertisement

aren't you wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I got a 1.1 top of my class degree and i own ever current generation console, a decent PC, a PS and a Sega Saturn and more games than I can finish in this lifetime. It is do-able

do you use that line with girls?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

quarryman wrote:
    Maybe something has to give with all this academic acheivement and gamage.

Sacrifices and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Hmm...over on play.com the Metroid Prime GC is €130.

But I don't need two Gc's. Do I?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Hmm...over on play.com the Metroid Prime GC is €130.

But I don't need two Gc's. Do I?
    Isn't that just a black cube with a different disc plate?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

who care's? its different so it must be bought!

*reaches in pocket for credit card*

i'll get 2 in case one gets dusty.

Anyone know what the euro price for bought the xboxand PS2 is.

Nope i just show them my 1337 gaming skillage in R-type and Salamander and they are all over me.
    aren't you wonderful.

How insightful of you. Its amazing that i was thinking the same thing myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

"Microsoft said it would cut 25 percent off the price of its Xbox in continental Europe, bringing the price to €149.99. The software giant also cut the UK price to £99.99 from £129.99.

Within an hour, market leader Sony cut the price of its top-selling PlayStation 2 console by a quarter to £105 in the UK and to between €149 and €159 in the euro zone.

Price cuts, the first this year, are routine in the run-up to the holidays. They were announced at Europe's biggest computer games fair in the German city of Leipzig.
    Microsoft's price reduction will start 27 August, while Sony's begins immediately.
    A Nintendo representative in London said there were no price cuts planned for its

From znet (today)here

Whatya bet Ireland is amazingly now not in The Eurozone by Game's atlas?

The unfortunate thing is that you could well be right about that. I'm heading into town tomorrow to get a new PS2 so I can tell you all then whether Ireland is getting shafted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Thraktor

A-Trak wrote:

Of course not, I remember Nintendo dropping the Gamecube price Europe-wide to €99 a while back. I go into Game a few days later, and what do I see but a big sign saying "Gamecube: Now only €119". Bastards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Out of curiosity, thought I'd check to see if we have the worst VAT in Europe to explain this. Not the case http://www.vatliaison.com/vatinfo/eu_vat_rates.html
    Can't see it going for €149 in Denmark at 25% VAT. Especially since they aren't in Euro zone - I'd already typed this - just too lazy :D

But I reckon only Ireland and Denmark will be significantly charging more - Microsoft will be prepared to take a bit of a hit to cover the VAT differential where the market is of substantial size. What I believe will happen: Ireland X-box €165 Denmark whatever - different currency so they will get away with it everywhere else €149 €154.99 - we will be the dearest not just because of VAT - but because of the protectionist, greedy-bastard, retailing mentality we have here.

Hmm that sounded like a rant? Luckily I know I'm right :p

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Sets New Price for PlayStation 2

€149 throughout Europe with immediate effect

London, 18 August, 2004 – Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) today announced that with immediate effect, the Recommended Retail Price of the PlayStation®2 games console throughout Europe would be reduced to 149 Euros or equivalent....
    etc

Edit: sorry, here's the prices from the Irish press releases...

PlayStation 2 €159.
    Xbox - €149.99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

"Take a hit" wtf was I thinking? They must be screwing the Spanish, Luxembourgers etc. - basically everyone with low sales tax to pay for the rest of us.

Simply didn't believe they would do this :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Makes the idea of buying a PS2 + GTA: San Andreas more appealing. For 200 I could get PS2(150) and GTA (45-50) and a bit left over for a mem card. Still have money left over from PC purchase and also luckly for me birth day is coming up. SOOOOOO Tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Forget san andreas! , what about GT4 ,ohmygod ohmygodohmygod, Its coming!

I'm in 2 minds about san andreas. I have a PS2 and a decent PC. I'd like to play the game (a lot!), but I don't want to buy it for my PS2 when I know it'll come out on PC eventually, and I much prefer the PC versions of the previous GTA games.

Couldn't really care about GT4 really, GT3 bored me (bastard licence tests)

GT4 = Pokemon with cars

No, no GT4= American hype + licenses + Skanger hype. So all in all itll sell well. Much prefer Burnout 3 meself, although EA have probably put the series out to the dogs, and have turned it into another Lame ass games, but will sell in the bucket loads because everyone loves EA... :mad:

Oh yea and when does this PS2 price drop take place? Play.com are selling them for 170E, have game lowered their prices (Doubt it)?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Oh yea and when does this PS2 price drop take place? Play.com are selling them for 170E, have game lowered their prices (Doubt it)?
    Out now. €159.99 in Game. And they're still ripping people off with €129.99 for a secondhand console :rolleyes:

Advertisement