Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE overlook student story

Options
  • 18-08-2004 12:06am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭

RTE seem to have completely over looked todays story about students making their way into the Dept. of Education buildings to protest against the rise in registration fee's.

reported here by breakingnews.ie:
    http://breakingnews.ie/2004/08/17/story162192.html

Sure its not the biggest story of the day, but it didn't seem to get a mention in any of the bulletins, their aertel news, or their website..

Was this just an oversight by RTE, or was it an attempt to discourage students from these kinds of tactics in future (as in, we wont cover the story until you do something more constructive, less disruptive)?

flogen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

30 people isn't exactly Paris 1968 - I'd say RTÉ just couldn't be bothered sending a camera crew out tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

First I've heard of it too, so maybe it wasn't seen as being as significant as other stories of the day. Of course Wednesday will see students all over the headlines.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Flukey wrote:
    First I've heard of it too, so maybe it wasn't seen as being as significant as other stories of the day. Of course Wednesday will see students all over the headlines.

as well as the shock and horror stories on thursday morning!
    "they pissed in my flower pot, Oh, the humanity!!" (woman swoons and is caught by husband)

It isn't a big story at all, but RTE didn't give it a seconds coverage, and from what Flukey said, theres the chance others didn't either.
    This is silly season, after all, I thought this would be gold!

flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

no i think they missed it purposely but i don't know why... it was in on moleworth street they would have been a camera crew from sone station floating about...

anywhat you cna find out it on ucdsu.net or indymedia.ie, who did cover it fully jsut ignore the insular argue,ements :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

chewy wrote:
    no i think they missed it purposely but i don't know why... it was in on moleworth street they would have been a camera crew from sone station floating about...

anywhat you cna find out it on ucdsu.net or indymedia.ie, who did cover it fully jsut ignore the insular argue,ements :)

Really? I love these RTÉ conspiracy theories you get on here every now and then :-).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

i just don't why it wasn't covered.. :)

Easy - because they were covering other things!!!!
    Even in the silly season they can't cover every story. Every day there are people protesting about something or other outsiede government departments or Leinster House. They can't cover them all. I am sure if it was a bigger crowd, like 300 not 30, it would have got coverage. Maybe you have some personal interest in it which makes it more important to you than it might be to the general public.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Flukey wrote:
    Easy - because they were covering other things!!!!
    Even in the silly season they can't cover every story. Every day there are people protesting about something or other outsiede government departments or Leinster House. They can't cover them all. I am sure if it was a bigger crowd, like 300 not 30, it would have got coverage. Maybe you have some personal interest in it which makes it more important to you than it might be to the general public.

Its not the protest that I was surprised to see unreported, more the fact that a load of them made their way into the buildings and sat in afew offices for a while. There was no violence or anything, but its still newsworthy, even if it is only a brief mention on their site, aertel or news broadcast.

flogen

Hmmm, maybe. If it all went off peacefully and without major incident, then I suppose it may have been overlooked in favour of the other issues. It being the time of year that it is, their news gathering is thinner on the ground. There are other things to be considered. How long beforehand was it planned, or was it a short notice thing? Did the organisers tip the media off? I didn't get a chance to look but was there anything about it in today's papers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

A student protest?

whocares3.jpg

• Advertisement

Well I am sure those students do, but the editors were leaning more towards your point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Flukey wrote:
    Well I am sure those students do, but the editors were leaning more towards your point of view.

90% of the population lean towards my point of view

Students believe their little problems are of cosmic significance but not many other people agree. I've seen this from both sides. When I was a student I went out to protest against those fascists who wouldn't increase our grants. At the time I thought it was important. Nowadays I'm self employed and in early middle age I look at a student protest and see a shower of spoilt middle class brats trying to scrounge more tax money off me :D

Its not just students. Everyone sees their own problems as being important when they have them. As a student you would have thought that some guy with his own job had it made and had no problems! :)

Advertisement