Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Degree

Options
  • 16-08-2004 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Im starting first year maths at trinity in october after transferring from engineering. I was wondering what a maths degree is like? is it very hard? how much studying is required? what are the students like generally?
    Also how does the trinity maths degree compare to other maths degrees in ireland?

Thanks,
    David

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

Would the time to ask these questions not have been before transferring onto the course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

congratulations u swapped a good course for a bad course!!!

ah dont listen to me, i'm just envious because i'd be too dumb to do either course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

i just did first year maths in maynooth and i'm repeating the exam in the morning so thats how easy it is (i wish).. i'm sorry i didn't sit for every lecture and badger the lecturer... btw, does anyone know anything about continuity???

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

What sorts of questions about continuity are you likely to get?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm repeating my exams for 2nd year mathematical science in UCD at the moment. Failed in the summer due to being a complete and utter waster all year. I'm probably going to switch from math science to single honour maths physics, having realised that I detest statistics and suck to an insane degree at abstract algebra...
    To the original poster:
    Be prepared to work REALLY hard. Trinity does a lot of stuff in 1st year that we do in 2nd year. You're going to be doing stuff like group theory and vector analysis in 1st year.
    The course probably rates about the same as UCD (meaning denominated mathematical science). A lot more theoretical than what the DCU mathematical sciences course would be, ie. less programming.
    Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrhappy42

maths can be good if you are focused and interested in the topic and attend the lectures and keep on top of the work...but why swap the true art from of Engineering for a hypotetical course that will just end you up in some insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Thanks for your replies.

jlang I have fully researched the course. I am just looking for the opinions of people doing maths.

mrhappy42 I am changing because I am interested in maths. There is lots of other careers outside of the insurance industry that one can get with a maths degree. Its a very general degree since maths is used in so many situations and industries.

rainbow kirby thanks for the response. I am prepared to work very hard at it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭M@lice

As long as you enjoy doing maths I can't see any problems. And its not hard work if you enjoy it either.

As for continuity my lecturer had a good way of explaining it. "Can you draw the graph of the function without taking your pen off the page?" Basically a function isn't continuous if there are undefined values of f(x) there is a break/jump on the graph.

I'm a maynoothian myself. I'm in the double maths class. Just finished 1st year. Do i know you? I used to get the train to college every morning if that gives you a clue who i am.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭charlieroot

Continuous ones. * Ba - dum - tish*.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

M@lice wrote:
    I'm a maynoothian myself.

Hey, that's 3 of us! I just did 1st year Maths Studies (doing Arts). Also doing Philosophy and Anthropology. Originally picked MS as my third because I liked it and was good at it. Got easily the best mark of the three, so I'm keeping it right through.

If you like it, and are prepared to put in some effort, you can get a decent mark. You can get a first much easier than a written subject or a language. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement