Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dual channel digital immersion timer

Options
  • 15-08-2004 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Havent been able to find a dual channel digital timer anywhere thats rated at 13amps per channel so it's safe to use with an immersion, (dual channel to do bath and sink seperately) Was thinking about going with a heating timer and two contacters in a small seperate enclosure, am i right in thinking i only need 2 contactors for the two live circuits for bath and sink and i can leave the neutral circuit running direct through the timer. Or if anyone has seen a dual channel timer than can do 13 amps please let me know where!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

sirlinux wrote:
    Havent been able to find a dual channel digital timer anywhere thats rated at 13amps per channel so it's safe to use with an immersion, (dual channel to do bath and sink seperately) Was thinking about going with a heating timer and two contacters in a small seperate enclosure, am i right in thinking i only need 2 contactors for the two live circuits for bath and sink and i can leave the neutral circuit running direct through the timer. Or if anyone has seen a dual channel timer than can do 13 amps please let me know where!!
    hey,i fit them a lot for people ,just bring your supply cable straight into the timer and from there onto the immersion switch .the timer works as the on/off switch,the immersion switch is left always on and you select sink/bath as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

check out http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=180135
    it'll show what to do and what not to do

I got one in RS off Herberton Rd....I'll dig out the details and send it on...it was about €40 I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kenniek

Am in the same position as sirlinux. Currently all I have is the standard 2 switch immersion - on/off and bath/sink. I want to replace this with a digital timer that will fit into the wall plate (light switch size) The switch is in full view in my living room so it can't be bleedin massive!!
    Is this switch you refer to on the radionics site capable of 2 channels as it says only one on the specs.
    Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

kenniek wrote:
    Am in the same position as sirlinux. Currently all I have is the standard 2 switch immersion - on/off and bath/sink. I want to replace this with a digital timer that will fit into the wall plate (light switch size) The switch is in full view in my living room so it can't be bleedin massive!!
    Is this switch you refer to on the radionics site capable of 2 channels as it says only one on the specs.
    Thanks for your help

It's only single channel, and dear for a single channel, you can get a single channel digital rated over 16 amps for about 35, after much searching ive had no luck getting an all in one, im going to go for a 2 channel heating timer to do the signalling and use contacters in a mini enclosure to switch the load, it's expensive but it looks like the only solution out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

davelerave wrote:
    hey,i fit them a lot for people ,just bring your supply cable straight into the timer and from there onto the immersion switch .the timer works as the on/off switch,the immersion switch is left always on and you select sink/bath as normal.

be carefull to do this right. we have this set up in our apt but the idiot who wired it did an amazingly bad job of it so that even though it appears the timer switch is working it infact isnt. as a result the the immersion has been on for 16months and rang us up an electricity bill of €700. :mad:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=180135

Thanks for the reply.
    You can get timers for dual immersions alright. I had one where I used to live where the main element (bath) is hooked up to the timer and the smaller one (sink) is connected to a boost button, which can be activated for 1 or 2 hours to give you hot water on demend. I got a replacement timer at:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HOELEC7.html

It works perfectly and was easy to install but it's the size of a double plug socket. Hope this helps.
    Whereas I am searching for one that does the same thing as above but fits into a standard size box (light-switch size) - if you find one please let me know!! ;)

you don't need a dual timer if you wire the timer on the mains side of the immersion switch & also keep your immesion switch. the timer then does all the switching on & off and you can choose your bath & sink setting when you need it. i find the sink setting enough and that's in a house with 2 kids.
    is your main shower fed from the immersion tank?

I can see your point from an ease of installation point of view. the dual channel would swap out easy enough. but if you got the Horstmann one that's double socket size, it would be easy enough to replace the single box with a double box unless space is a premium.

the timer I got in RS is single socket size. you'll get what you pay for and I have to say this one is easy to use, easy to install and reliable.

does it make much difference what size it is? will it not be going inside your immersion cupboard anyway?

Yeah the shower is fed from the immersion tank.
    I hear what you are saying - that would be the easiest solution alright but unforunately the switch is on full view on one of my living room walls!! If it was in a cupboard I would care what size it was.
    I don't want to go hacking into the wall either as I'd probably take the whole wall down!!
    I may just buy a single channel timer and hook it up to just the bath element. Does anyone know the two power ratings of a bath and a sink element?
    Thanks

I think this might be just what you're looking for
    http://www.grasslin.com/digi422.html

here are their contact details
    http://www.tfc-group.co.uk/contactus.asp

• Advertisement

Nice one Lex - that looks like it'd suit perfectly. Thanks for the info

Advertisement