Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGA, Season 1, Episode 6: Childhood's End [Spoilers]

Options
  • 13-08-2004 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

Sound slike it will be alright but also sounds a bit like a familler episode of TNG

Rate This Episode 12 votes

Amazing
    0%
    Good
    8%
    mr_angry 1 vote
    Ok
    58%
    bkehoePepe LeFritsKevokJohnKDrEvilixoyUser45701 7 votes
    Bad
    33%
    VenomRazPrecariousNutsOmegaRed 4 votes
    You Wasted 44 Mins of My Life And I Want Them Back
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Bad
    Did anyone's face light up as much as mine when they saw the ZPM??? Those things are like gold. Hope they come across more, id like to see them get back in contact with earth and possibly have a few crossovers between SG1. Lets face it, from the end of season 6 and all of season 7 SG1 have been looking for atlantis to find weapons to defeat anubis and the rest of the system lords so it would make sense for SG1 to get so nifty wepons if not a few ZPMs to power the outpost on earth!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Ok
    To be honest i am expecting there to be very few if any ZPMs in the pegasus galaxy.
    The anchients fought a war with the Wraith and wraith cant penetrate anchient shields so we have to assume that almost ALL zpms where drained during the war.

I would say its more likley that SG1 will find a box of 3 or 5 of them and then send 1 or 2 to pegasus.

Also it sillhasent been explained why the wraith and asguard never fought a war.

Anyway onto this episode.
    It am happy with it i expected it to be all debate over if suicide is right or not and all that but so many shows have done that it does get boring.
    Mix of the TOS episode with all the kids and the TNG episode where Loxana trios husband wants to commit suicide. i dont know how that makes sence but that is how i view this episode.

It was a good episode

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Was a OK ep, nothing fantastic
    For me the jury is still out on Atlantis I'm hoping it'll improve

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Ok
    The episode turned out better than I expected. Obvious "Logan's Run" influences aside, the show didn't harp too much on about the morality of the situation. Indeed McKay was enjoyably not all concerned about the planet (which Trek would have drearily done). In fact, McKay was great in this episode - I loved the way he shouted at the kids and didn't want to be all pally (what a contrast to the norm). His rant at the kids was comedy gold.
    Teyla was pretty useless again but Sheppard didn't do much either. It seemed Ford and McKay held the show here (speaking of Ford - same first name as me AND the same age. It's me! Gone black!).
    Nice balance of humour, ethics, and action here. Nothing amazing but good solid fare and finally they went off planet!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Ok
    Enjoyed this week's episode again, thumbs up for Atlantis!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭40crush41

Also it sillhasent been explained why the wraith and asguard never fought a war.

that would be very interesting to see. =) maybe im not up on all my stargate trivia, but aren't they galaxies apart and so they havn't met yet (?)

anyway, i enjoyed the episode just b/c i love my stargate, but id say solution came too easily and was a bit predictable.

~beth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

I'm a slight bit confused. Atlantis lifted off from Earth right? Hence the outpost in Antartica, yet there are no Wraith the the area of space around Earth. They are only in the Pegasus Galaxy where Atlantis moved TO! Can anyone explain this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Ok
    I thought this was a good episode. Loved McKay in it :D

Ok
    40crush41 wrote:
    that would be very interesting to see. =) maybe im not up on all my stargate trivia, but aren't they galaxies apart and so they havn't met yet (?)
    The asgard do go to different galaxys tho also one would assume they would send shiops to investagate loss of contact with the anchients

NeoSlicerZ wrote:
    I'm a slight bit confused. Atlantis lifted off from Earth right? Hence the outpost in Antartica, yet there are no Wraith the the area of space around Earth. They are only in the Pegasus Galaxy where Atlantis moved TO! Can anyone explain this please?

No i cant explain it mabe they didnt want to draw wraith attention to our galaxy or mabe it was because of the plauge?
    mabe they thought if they moved all the infactruture to the pegasus galaxy they could beat the wraith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Good
    Woah people - lets get a few things straight.

The Asguard were advanced enough to share a conference table with the Ancients. However, they were never the technological equals of the Ancients, and still aren't capable of understanding Ancient devices.

Atlantis has always been in the Pegasus galaxy. The station on Earth was merely an outpost. The Ancients in the Pegasus galaxy were victim of The Wraith - an enemy they were simply unprepared for (they were exploring a new galaxy, much like the Atlantis team, and didn't have the same resources we would normally expect). In order to protect Earth from The Wraith, they submerged the entire city, as it held the only Stargate capable of reaching Earth.

The remaining Ancients in the Milky Way galaxy fell victim to a plague that was sweeping the galaxy. In order to escape it, the remaining few discovered how to ascend to a new plane of existence, and did so.

Anyway, onto tonights episode. It was the first Atlantis episode that I was really happy with, apart from their horrible reuse of actors! Who's idea was it to re-use "Elliot" as "Keras", I have no idea. Still, he's a good actor, so I'll let it go for now. The character development was decent in this episode, there were no inconsistencies, and the acting quality seemed significantly better than before, with Makay again shining. (I particularly liked his Carter reference.) With a bit of luck, they'll keep up the good work.

• Advertisement

Ok
    In the first episode of athlantis u see frozen land and then a city hovering up from the ground and entering into hyperdive or transwarp or something
    i assumed that was the city leaving antartcia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Good
    Well, having watched it again, it does indeed look a bit like the city was leaving Antartica. I can only assume that the city was constructed in Antartica before being moved to the Pegasus galaxy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

T'was an ok episode. Although I have one question. They crashed landed because that shield thing was on. Yet at the very end, the shield was on... and they got back into the shuttle to leave...eh? Maybe I missed something.

Then I thought ok so maybe the children turned it off so they could leave and they'd turn it back on again. But McKay had so much trouble turning it back on in the first place....

ambrose :cool:

Ok
    Yet at the very end, the shield was on... and they got back into the shuttle to leave...eh? Maybe I missed something.
    Ya did. McKay said he parked the shuttle outside the field of the shield so it was functional when the shield came back on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Ah... thanks for that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Bad
    mr_angry wrote:
    Well, having watched it again, it does indeed look a bit like the city was leaving Antartica. I can only assume that the city was constructed in Antartica before being moved to the Pegasus galaxy.
    To shed some light on this,
    We know that the city/ship seen taking off at the start of the first atlantis episode is going from Antartica because the woman who is being left behind is the same woman/actress who was dug out of the ice in the episode Frozen. One would assume the outpost on earth is in the same area because we see the same dome in the episode Frozen as we do in the fly over during the first atlantis episode.
    The only quibble I have with this is that in the lost city part 2 when jack modifies the cargo vessel ring transporter to melt the ice, there is no sign of this domed building in the vicinity, therefore it may be nowhere near the outpost.
    I can't remember if the first episode of atlantis showed the shape of the city/ship which took off at the start. That would be a far better indicator of whether or not its the city of Atlantis leaving earth.

Personally I think there were enough references to Atlantis being on earth and then having to hide for it to be the city leaving at the start of the episode.

Bad
    ixoy wrote:
    Ya did. McKay said he parked the shuttle outside the field of the shield so it was functional when the shield came back on.
    Yes but Mckay said for a small increase in power he was able to double the radius of the dome. When they were leaving were they not parked in the same place that was just outside the original dome?

Ok
    Raz wrote:
    Yes but Mckay said for a small increase in power he was able to double the radius of the dome. When they were leaving were they not parked in the same place that was just outside the original dome?
    I assumed he factored in that he could double the radius and parked appropriately? FWIW, the journey to the shuttle seemed very short. Given McKay doubled the shield and knowing that there are a number of other villages that we didn't see, isn't the area covered by the dome remarkably small? I'd have thought the radius was a couple of kilometres. It'd certainly need to be if the colonists are to expand.

Bad
    ixoy wrote:
    I assumed he factored in that he could double the radius and parked appropriately? FWIW, the journey to the shuttle seemed very short. Given McKay doubled the shield and knowing that there are a number of other villages that we didn't see, isn't the area covered by the dome remarkably small? I'd have thought the radius was a couple of kilometres. It'd certainly need to be if the colonists are to expand.
    I guess that's a fair enough assumption.

The thing about the shield being small bugged me a bit too but they did cut everytime they went from the device to the village to the perimeter of the dome.
    And there was the bit where McKay ran from the device to the perimeter near enought the end and he was exhausted when he got there, implying he'd actually run a long way. But it also implied he was just unfit, as the two kids were fine.
    I just looked at it again. It seems to be the same lakeside area but the shot is from a different angle and it's hard to be sure. I think they were trying to portray it as a different place though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Bad
    It was an ok episode but consider how many times such stories have been done before I suppose it could have been allot worse.

Teyla was useless in another SG:A episode and either need to end up as wraith food or the writers need to make her less Teal'c like. Mckay once again was great. His little rants to himself are just priceless. Sheppard needs way more development tho as he is to similar as every other leading actor land in sci fi land and so is his second in command.

• Advertisement
Advertisement