Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putonghua in Malaysia

Options
  • 11-08-2004 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭

I've a little (quite bad) Mandarin. I will be visiting Malaysia later this year and I know most Chinese there speak Cantonese. I only did about 20 Mandarin lessons and my teacher taught Beijing pronunciations: e.g. hong-leeooh-dehhhhrr (traffic light). Should I just stick to pidgin bahassa? Or is there some hope I could make myself understood?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

Should I just stick to pidgin bahassa? Or is there some hope I could make myself understood?
    Neighbouring Singapore has long had a campaign to encourage Mandarin as the prevalent form of Chinese. I have never heard of anything similar in Malaysia. Cantonese (or other common languages/dialects like Hakka) and Mandarin are sufficiently different to be mutually unintelligible.

English works fine in Malaysia though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

Hmm, I have a friend who lives in Malaysia, and he's fluent in English, Mandarin and Malaysian. Apparently he's never had to speak Cantonese there his whole life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Me too. (friend who speaks Mandarin). But Cantonese is his mother tongue - just can't reach the guy cos he works in mainly in Shanghai. (might get him in a couple of weeks).

I think the question I should have asked is how much Mandarin is thought in schools in Malaysia? How well is it understood in cities, in small towns - maybe by state?

Advertisement