Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 15 to East Point Business Park??

Options
  • 09-08-2004 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I am new to Ireland and Dublin having moved here from Denmark to start work in East Point business park.

Now my question is: does anyone commute from Dublin 15 to East Point either by car or Bike?
    That journey is a bit tricky, and I could do with either a cycling buddy or a lift :rolleyes:

Anna

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭fletch

Thats one hell of a cycle pasticularly as the winter is coming. Dark wet mornings. Why not consider the train to Connolly station and then switch over to a Howth/Malahide dart to Clontarf Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

I am new to Ireland and Dublin having moved here from Denmark to start work in East Point business park.

Anna

Where in Dublin 15- Is the train not an option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭steviem

get the 220 from Blanch to Finglas then the 103 from the village will take you to Clontarf Road Dart Station. timetables on www.dublinbus.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

might be getting my post codes mixed up, but would the 103 or 104 bus to clontarf rd Dart help?
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/your_journey/returned.asp?search_type=text&submitted=yes&mnuTownPlace=Clontarf+Rd%2E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 DanishBunny

I checked on the AA and RAC sites and they both claim it is an 8.5 mile journey, which I don't mind.

I am 2 minutes from Coolmine station, but the problem with the train and Dart connection is that I would stand around at Connoly for 20 mins both ways. And that seems a bit of a waste of time :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,896 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's not too far a walk from Connolly to East point business park by the way.

Would that take less than standing around and then take the Dart??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,896 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah it should take less alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Or if you don't fancy walking there are lots of buses from outside Connolly going that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭EvilDoctorK

Best option would be take the train from Coolmine to Connolly then from Connolly don't bother with the DART ... just take any northbound bus from outside Connolly .. there are so many routes there you won't wait more than one or two minutes. The Bus will drop you at the Fire Station at Annesley Bridge from where it's 10 minutes walk to East Point. (You could walk all the way from Connolly in around 25 minutes)

If you were to get the DART from Connolly you would have to wait for the DART (they're not as frequent as the bus) .. and it will still drop you off 10 minutes walk from the Business Park... there is a little shuttle bus but invariably there are long queues for it at peak times and the traffic makes it little faster than walking anyway.

Cycling would be not impossible (in good weather at least) - would be downhill into work so not too hard (but still as mentioned above 8miles which is long enough) but it would be literally an uphill struggle to get home in the evening.

In general though - why Dublin 15 ?.. Unless you've a particular reason to stay there if you're working in East Point it should be possible to get decent accomodation a lot closer .. might cost (a little) more but i'd say worth it

• Advertisement

Sounds like the DART is out :) Dublin 15 is a given for the moment, as I have moved in with boyfriend, and he is a northsider through and through :rolleyes:

Good to hear about the busses, because hangning about wasting time is not really what you want to do neither going into work or coming home. The town I come from in Denmark is in a dip, so wherever you live you go steeply downhill into the centre, and struggle uphill going home. So nothing would change there :confused:

Now another question. If I were to go for the cycling, which would be the shortest way with the smallest risk of being flattened by a car????

Anna

• Registered Users Posts: 78,268 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The train does seem like a good idea, if the timetable suits.

Regarding the train timetable, note that the adds a few minutes between connections (to allow for delays, going from one platform to the other), when in reality the train will be dropping you on platform 7 and you get the DART at platform 6. Go to http://www.irishrail.ie/home/ and separately search for Coolmine-Dublin Connolly and Dublin Connolly - Clontarf Road, the typical wait in Connolly is 3-5 minutes.
    Now another question. If I were to go for the cycling, which would be the shortest way with the smallest risk of being flattened by a car????
    Along the canal (I don't think you can cycle along the aqauduct at the M50 though). The qualification I would put on this is it can be remote in places and attacts (well permits) undesirables to loiter.

Also look up http://www.dto-journeyplanner.ie/dtojp/jsp/content/start.do which has a walking and cycling planner.

undesirables :rolleyes: now, that doesn't sound pleasant. So no main roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,268 ✭✭✭✭Victor

undesirables :rolleyes:
    Look up "skanger" with the search facility here. But I doubt the'll be up by 9am :)

One thing though is that it isn't illuminated, so cycling it on winter enenings would be a no-no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Its at most a 35-45 minute cycle. Thats the fastest way to do the journey if theres any traffic at all. A bus or train is going to take you about 1.5 hours door to door, as theres lots of waiting around. Quickest way is likely navan road, phibsboro, then fairview. Though it depends where in D.15 you are. If you were close to the park I'd suggest that way, since its a nicer cycle and then up the quays. At peak time when the schools are back most of the traffic isn't moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

Quickest way is likely navan road, phibsboro, then fairview. Though it depends where in D.15 you are. .
    Victor will trace it out on a map if you are nice to him and buy him a pack of markers :P

jd wrote:
    Victor will trace it out on a map if you are nice to him and buy him a pack of markers :P

I may need him to, as I couldn't get the route planner mentioned to plot me a route. It didn't seem to think the two points could be connected :confused:

It is encouraging to hear that it shouldn't be more than a 45 minute cycle trip. I am close to the Clonsilla Road if that helps finding out the shortest route. :p Some day I will be able to find my own way round this ciy (hopefully)

And yes by the way, I am close to the park. that thought appeals to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I know of at least 2 people here in my office who get that train in and then walk from Connolly stn - it's not that far...

Also 8.5 miles sounds like perfect distance for a bike - you'll be in in less than an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭EvilDoctorK

The Park wouuld definitely be a pleasant cycle - but it would be a good bit longer I'd say (at least an extra mile I'd think)

Shortest Route would I think be Navan Road - New Cabra Road - North Circular Road - Croke Park - Clonliffe Road -East Wall Road - East Point.

Navan Road is quite busy but I think has a cycle lane along most of its length which should make it easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

I may need him to, as I couldn't get the route planner mentioned to plot me a route. It didn't seem to think the two points could be connected :confused:

Yeah, its been dead since last weekend... you could try maps.msn.com, but their planner leaves a lot to be desired.

Trojan wrote:
    I know of at least 2 people here in my office who get that train in and then walk from Connolly stn - it's not that far...

You work in East Point Trojan?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

hi
    i commute daily from mountrath (laois) to eastpoint business park. the bus drops me at connolly station. from there i walk to eastpoint business park, on average i can do it in rougly 20-25 mins (have long legs ;) )

--laoisfan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

If you get the train, you'll walk 15mins min to get to the station, then 20-25 to work. Then you'll be waiting 10 mins min for the train and it takes about 30-40mins to get in, assuming it doesn't miss it slot and wait 20 mins outside of connnelly. Thats best case. The bike takes 30-40 mins on the way in, and 40-50 mins on the way home. The train can often be 10-20mins late and personally I found it to be more packed than a tokyo train. Hate it with a passion unless you go off peak times.

Cycling go down clonsilla, then through riverwood, around castleknock college, past farmleigh and into the park. I'd then go up the quays and out to fairview. Do a trail run and see what you think. You could also go across the park and down the north circular road to phibsboro and then out to fairview. Possibily shorter but not as nice a route IMO.

Sounds like I will definitely be buying a bike over the weekend (My beloved Trek was stolen in Denmark :mad: ) Wonder how I will do with riding on the left hand side of the road. Urgh

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I used to do the route described by EvilDoctorK by car, and it is the quickest cycle route too. Other than that, its a bus into town, and a dart/bus/walk to East Point.

Here's a good map and directions I made earlier.....

Advertisement