Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any comments on Landrovers freelander? Thinking of upgrading

Options
  • 09-08-2004 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

Currently driving an Audi A4 1.9Tdi. Thinking about upgrading to a Freelander Diesel. Anyone have an experiences with them?

bradleyFreSIL910.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Kavs

underpowered balls of ****e!! Get yourself a landcruiser or a Pajero!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

very unreliable too iirc
    check www.cbg.ie , www.honestjohn.co.uk , www.parkers.co.uk , www.peachorlemon.co.uk for reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Avoid like the plague - they are one of the most unreliable soft-roader of the lot and have been the subject of several investigations and recalls. Of the two I have known, one ate its gearbox and destroyed diffs, drives and hubs for no apparent reason, the other went for a routine (36,000mile) service and was found to have major engine damage - the owner had them finish the service and drove it straight to another dealer where he traded it in and said nothing.... Suzuki Grand Vitara is a well kitted quasi-jeep and Tdi too - I'd buy a HRV but I despise diesel...

'ceptr

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Ive heard differing stories about the Freelander.. the original had a lot of
    problems with the engine and from simple little things like the switchs coming
    off in yer hand from the dash..

The newer model is supposed to have fixed a lot of these but its only just on
    the road so reviews are few and far between..

As interceptor said, great things have been said about the grand vitara alright
    but I find the interior a little bland.. however the engine and chassis are
    supposed to be very good..

Going from something as solid and reliable as an Audi to a Freelander would be a
    serious shock to the system...

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

I've seen two of these in my local garage within the last few weeks with the engines out of them; both with small mileage, both had blown head gaskets.

I checked out carsurvey.org and with the odd exception, no one had anything good to say about them.

Excerpt from one of the reviews....
    What things have gone wrong with the car?
    1. Head gasket failed.
    2. Problems with the radio and central locking.
    3. Sun roof rails failed, replaced by dealer, now it leaks.
    4. Water ingress problem, rear security box fills with 1 inch of water, the problem is still ongoing, dealer unable to fix
    5. Tyres wear very quickly
    6. Rear brake shoes stick
    7. Air-conditioning unit leaks gas.

General comments?
    The car is damp.

The ride is like being in an armchair on a big spring.

I'd keep well away from them myself...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,204 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That would not be an upgrade! Stick to your Audi TDI and you'll be a lot happier :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Brother has a 00 model of this, what a pile of pony, he only has it six months and is thinking of changing it already! Avoid, avoid avoid!!
    Stick with the audi, would not mind the diesel version myself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

The most common vehicle the AA is called out to for breakdowns.
    Well, two years ago anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

If you want the 4x4 side, get a Defender 90
    If you want the extra room get a Volvo
    If you want the higher driving position get a cushion

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

My Boss has one and I've driven it a few times and it's an absolutley horrible car to drive.
    The ride is like being in an armchair on a big spring.

Says it all really!!

They've no poke in them whatsoever either!

I'd have to go with the general concensus, Stay Away from them unless of course you're a Soccer Mom that needs to battle your way through the rough terrain of modern Irish roads doing the School Run!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

Merrion wrote:
    If you want the 4x4 side, get a Defender 90
    If you want the extra room get a Volvo
    If you want the higher driving position get a cushion

well said that man !, but forget the vulva and get a defender 110. think you even get a radio with them these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I wouldn't buy a Freelander as whenever I've been in one bits have been falling off (the buttons in the stereo used to fall out in most afaik).

I'm also a big fan of the Defender.

There's a metalic blue truck cab Defender 110 for sale in Boyle that I covet intensely...unfortunately I am only allowed one impractical lump of British engineering at a time :(

Merrion wrote:
    unfortunately I am only allowed one impractical lump of British engineering at a time :(

Go on then, tell us, what's your current lump :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'll guess a big Rover

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

you'd be seriously nuts to change to one of those poxy yokes. just get your A4 chipped ! the freelander is a total ponce mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I took one for a test drive yesterday. What absolute pile of shíte. Looks the dogs nuts but thats it. No fear of me trading (he offered me E12.5K for my Audi A4 Tdi - `00 - all elecs - elec s/r - 92K). I fúcking hate car salesmen.

To summerise he wanted E7.5K plus my audi for a `00 freelander :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

This wasn't BradleyGraveRobbers Land Rapist Main Stealers on the DUblin rOAD by any chance? Oh no sir, we couldn't actually give you any value for your money, you should just let us dry r1de you and thank us for the experience....

'ceptr

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭davmigil

I think the Subaru Forester 2.0 Turbo is the best of the soft roaders, for those who don't really need a full off-roader. However, with no diesel engine offered the difference in fuel economy might be a shock...

Have only heard bad reports about Freelander reliability. Even if the opinion out there is unfair to the car, it still probably means depreciation will be severe.

If you need the space, but not the 4wd a 2nd hand Passat Estate red-i with lots of extras would be nice too.

From spy photos the new Passat looks great. Estate version looks nicely styled, less boxy than of yore.

http://www.germancarfans.com/spyphotos.cfm/spyphotoid/6040530.001/pageview/photo/photo/Mini1/page/1/volkswagen/1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

This wasn't BradleyGraveRobbers Land Rapist Main Stealers on the DUblin rOAD by any chance? Oh no sir, we couldn't actually give you any value for your money, you should just let us dry r1de you and thank us for the experience....

'ceptr

Spot on Cepter. Tbh I only used them for the test drive. Wouldn't buy a spark plug off em tbh..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭alias no.9

On the engine front, the head gasket failures mentioned above were probably on petrol versions, particularly the 1.8 rover k-series engine, the k-series is renouned for head gasket failure. There's 2 diesels, one is the rover L-series which is based on an old perkins diesel engine and is rather course and outdated the other afaik is a bmw lump and would definately be the one to go for but could be hard to find. As for the rest of the car, early ones were dogged by terrible build but it gradually improved over it's lifetime so if you really want one, go as new as possible.

The overall package, much like any soft roader, is utterly compromised and offers nothing that isn't done much better by most ordinary cars.

Go on then, tell us, what's your current lump
    Triumph GT6 [ ^ ]

I've had a Series 2A LWB and a Series 2 A 6cyl previously. Both uncomfortable noisy thirsty brutes but utterly reliable and unfazed by any terrain whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Stay away from a Freelander. Notoriously unreliable - I can't stress that enough.

I'll let crosstownk have the final word (he's right BTW) before closing this ancient thread...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement