Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simon Community and Volunteerism

Options
  • 09-08-2004 1:04pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The problems that seem to be affecting the Dublin Simon Community seem to be symptomatic of the problems discussed on this section before of the growing professionalisation of the charity sector and the reduction in the number of people with spare time to volunteer their time and effort. It's a great pity that there are less people to volunteer, but then again it does mean that there are more job opportunities for the people and maybe more scope for them to give to charities financially instead of their time.

There isn't much disagreement between people over the need to employ people for specific jobs that would ask too much of a volunteer. I don't know that much of the detail of the Dublin simon community example but if anyone has more details...
    It would seem to be inevitable that as volunteering numbers fall that the professionals needed to take their place will increase. Is it inevitable?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

hmm yeah i don't know whats going on there,
    i don't think professionalism is inevitalbe i dunno its just about making more flexible ways to help out... ya can get consumed by it,most people that i know that do charity type things allow it to take over their lives... i mean rather then having the situation where you need a full time worker you have to create a way 4 people could do sections of the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Kelter

I know this is a bit off topic, but the Simon community will only allow you to volunteer to do the soup run at two times in the year, and you must agree to stay on for at least one year. I contacted them in February and was told that I would have to wait til the next drive in July/August.

Now fair enoughthat these things need to be organised and you need people to commit to turning up when they say they will, but come on.. Its voluntary. Give me a break. Let me help when I ask to join at the very least, not wait 5 months, only to have lost my interest by that time.

On my experiences with Simon, I can only assume that they do not have a shortage at all

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

originally posted by Kelter
    I know this is a bit off topic, but the Simon community will only allow you to volunteer to do the soup run at two times in the year, and you must agree to stay on for at least one year. I contacted them in February and was told that I would have to wait til the next drive in July/August.
    Perhaps and i don't know this but it may be administratively easier and cheaper to train people in large groups twice a year rather than more regularly. The cost of training is an investment so i guess that they would hope for a return (ie one years service) on that investment.

Advertisement