Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland is Lost Island of Atlantis - Scientist

Options
  • 05-08-2004 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2004/08/04/story160077.html

A new book investigating the myth of Atlantis says that the mythical land was actually the island of Ireland.

The claim is made by geologist Ulf Erlingsson in his book 'Atlantis from a Geographer’s Perspective: Mapping the Fairy Land', who is to visit Ireland on August 11 to 13.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Cool :)

So where are you from Dave?
    "Well I'm Atlantis"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Given that Atlantis has been claimed as being as far west as Mexico, as far south as Equatorial Guinea, as far east as Cyprus and as far north as Greenland, we're just taking our place in the queue. Plato didn't place it as far west, south, east or north as any of these places (including Ireland).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭arcadegame2004

"Ireland Is Lost Island of Atlantis, Says Scientist

Fri Aug 6,11:52 AM ET

Add Science - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Kevin Smith

DUBLIN (Reuters) - Atlantis, the legendary island nation over whose existence controversy has raged for thousands of years, was actually Ireland, according to a new theory by a Swedish scientist.

AP Photo

Related Links
    • Atlantis From a Geographer's Perspective (lindorm.com)
    • Lost Continent of Atlantis (Yahoo! Directory)

Atlantis, the Greek philosopher Plato wrote in 360 BC, was an island in the Atlantic Ocean where an advanced civilization developed some 11,500 years ago until it was hit by a cataclysmic natural disaster and sank beneath the waves.

Geographer Ulf Erlingsson, whose book explaining his theory will be published next month, says the measurements, geography, and landscape of Atlantis as described by Plato match Ireland almost exactly.

"I am amazed no one has come up with this before, it's incredible," he told Reuters.

"Just like Atlantis, Ireland is 300 miles long, 200 miles wide, and widest across the middle. They both have a central plain surrounded by mountains.

"I've looked at geographical data from the rest of the world and of the 50 largest islands there is only one that has a plain in the middle -- Ireland."

Erlingsson believes the idea that Atlantis sank came from the fate of Dogger Bank, an isolated shoal in the North Sea, about 60 miles off the northeastern coast of England, which sank after being hit by a huge floodwave around 6,100 BC.

"I suspect that myth came from Ireland and it derives from Dogger Bank. I think the memory of Dogger Bank was probably preserved in Ireland for around 3,000 years and became mixed up with the story of Atlantis," he said.

Erlingsson links the boundaries of the Atlantic Empire, as outlined by Plato, with the geographic distribution of megalithic monuments in Europe and Northern Africa, matching Atlantis' temples with well-known burial sites at Newgrange and Knowth, north of Dublin, which pre-date the pyramids.

His book, "Atlantis from a Geographer's Perspective: Mapping the Fairy Land," calculates the probability Plato would have had access to geographical data about Ireland as 99.98 percent.

Previous theories about Atlantis have suggested it may have been around the Azores islands 900 miles west of the Portuguese coast, or in the Aegean sea. Others locate it solely in the long-decayed brain of Plato."

Intriguing!

right. Ok. This guy sounds off his rocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

The only credible candidate for Atlantis is the Island of Thera (Santorini) which, when it went from volcanic island to volcanic sliver, effectively destroyed the Minoan civilization which was written about by the Greeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Yoda wrote:
    The only credible candidate for Atlantis is the Island of Thera (Santorini) which, when it went from volcanic island to volcanic sliver, effectively destroyed the Minoan civilization which was written about by the Greeks.

But shure didn't Patrick Duffy play the lead role in the TV series "The Man from Atlantis"? Begorah and faith, isn't that an Irishman for ya?

Q.E.D.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Justice

not true imo.

that guy is looking at the current map of the world and trying to find a close match. he is not actually accepting the word of plato, who says that atlantis was sunk beneath the seas.

anyone see underwater kingdoms of the ice age on C4 a few yrs back?

a journalist is investigating the levels of rising seas between 15000 and 9000 thousand years ago. what hes found are cities (one bigger than dublin ) buried in the indian seas. esentially showing an advanced civilization lived there. this completely blows away current historical thinking on the rise of civilization, which supposedly happened in summeria 5000 years ago.
    anyway his belief is that atlantis was an island circa 9000 yrs ago in the somewhere in the caribean seas. in his opinion its only a matter of time before some serious marine archiology (barely any being done atm) will find the truth.
    check out here for more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Justice wrote:
    not true imo.

that guy is looking at the current map of the world and trying to find a close match. he is not actually accepting the word of plato, who says that atlantis was sunk beneath the seas.

anyone see underwater kingdoms of the ice age on C4 a few yrs back?

a journalist is investigating the levels of rising seas between 15000 and 9000 thousand years ago. what hes found are cities (one bigger than dublin ) buried in the indian seas. esentially showing an advanced civilization lived there. this completely blows away current historical thinking on the rise of civilization, which supposedly happened in summeria 5000 years ago.
    anyway his belief is that atlantis was an island circa 9000 yrs ago in the somewhere in the caribean seas. in his opinion its only a matter of time before some serious marine archiology (barely any being done atm) will find the truth.
    check out here for more info.

I was off sick yestercay and I saw that show on RTE1. Quite good I must say.
    Anyway, this Atlantis story is basically a collection of myths from a time atthe end of the last ice age, when many civilizations were burried under the waves.
    So pinpointing it to Ireland is a bit far fetched

Advertisement