Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terminator3 a Comedy ???

Options
  • 05-08-2004 11:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭

Its a bit late by now to post about T3, i know, but i'll do it anyway.

I've always been a great fan of the Terminator films. The second film just had incredable special effects for the time of its release and i've watched it for 10 years! (not constantly :D ) There has been about 10 years between each film and i was really expecting the third one to be absolutly insanely good.
    BUT!!!!!!!!!
    I was expecting far too much and as it turns out its much more like a comedy rather than an apocalypse type movie. Argh.... all those CHEESE lines!!! every five minutes a f|_|Ck1n stupid "joke" and the worse thing the TX is a woman.
    I recon all the above have ONLY been integrated to get more people into the cinemas.

What's ur opinion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Though it was crap to many jokes Termy with star glasses? and ya she really shouldnt of been a terminator about as scary as nail clippers .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 biblo

well i liked the 3rd one to be honest. i never really liked the originals. I'm not a huge fan of James Cameron anyway. The first 2 are absolutely full of awful plot holes that the 3rd managed to fill up. And the car chase in 3 was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

I love all the terminator films including the last one. The effects were brilliant and very entertaining to watch how the film was made. Kristanna Loken is dead kool as the T-X.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Etain

I enjoyed T3, as I did the other two. I think they tied the story up pretty well. Could have done without the cheesy jokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

That film should not have been 12s. They did too much to keep it clean, and then loaded it up with loads of stupid lines. The worst one, for me, was the "talk to the hand" line. Killig machines should not say that. Other than the stupid lines, I liked it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Gotta disagree with you also - really enjoyed Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, particularly the ending :D Okay so there were a few too many jokes maybe, but making the Terminator more human was a process already begun in Terminator 2 (which, by the way, I think is quite inferior to the original). The plot, by and large, fitted nicely into the time frames established by the first two movies and explained what the future was if originally it spawned that seen in the first two movies
    that future was only delayed and we all die anyway :)
    . I wouldn't mind seeing a T4 set in the aftermath of the events of T3 now. And I don't think I'd even need to see Arnie in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,896 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I quite liked it. I can see why people were disappointed though. You went into it with the expectation of seeing the aftermath of the apocalypse, machine war etc.

Other than that, I liked the actor who played John Connor, so cute. The character didn't quite match up with the character on T2. In T2 we saw him naturally assume a leader role, in T3 he was a gibbering mess. Maybe age had given him more to worry about (it's no longer just a game). I liked the way we saw Skynet come to life. Skynet being software mirrored current trends in computing nicely. It was so gut-wrenching at yet so satisfying when they got to the bunker to find nothing there.

The chase component of the movie sucked though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yeah I have to agree there, T3's John Connor was such a helpless whimp... I was vaguely dissapointed with T3 after the masterpiece that T2 was... a tough act to follow I suppose.
    Should have brought back Edward Furlong and Linda Hamilton, I just couldn't help watching the movie and thinking "that is NOT John Connor".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

ixoy wrote:
    Gotta disagree with you also - really enjoyed Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, particularly the ending :D Okay so there were a few too many jokes maybe, but making the Terminator more human was a process already begun in Terminator 2 (which, by the way, I think is quite inferior to the original). The plot, by and large, fitted nicely into the time frames established by the first two movies and explained what the future was if originally it spawned that seen in the first two movies
    that future was only delayed and we all die anyway :)
    . I wouldn't mind seeing a T4 set in the aftermath of the events of T3 now. And I don't think I'd even need to see Arnie in it.

heard a rumour one is in the pipeline, with the rock. cant remember where i read that though, so take with a pinch of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭pyrogenx

If there a T4 that will include the Machine War, it would cost far more than thr third one again. You have to imagine how much it would cost to create special effects almost throughout the movie, but since arny paid for the dearest stunt in T3, surely his new wages will do for another film...

I still thought it was a good film, kinda scary and funny (not the cheesy lines) at the same time. The skynet took over is pretty much tracable to todays world! just replace the word "skynet" with "Microsoft". isn't that scary.... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

i bet there will be 2 more films(or more!), a spin off series and then finally a cartoon, before they have sapped up every penny possibal from the whole Terminator notion

its a pity really because by the time they give up, everyone will be ashamed to admit they even liked the original 2 terminator movies ( which is one of the best films ever made )

ps third one wasn't that bad, but i wish they took it more seriously

mukki wrote:
    ps third one wasn't that bad, but i wish they took it more seriously

Now those are exactly the words i was looking for!!! They should have just taken it much more serious! But then again a lot of people wouldn't bother watching it again and they'd make less profits...and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

I didnt like T2 , i thought it was crappy enough : the way he wasnt allowed kill people and the way john conner sucked. It was basically a kids film, I reckoned T3 was better but neither of em were a patch on the origional, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

This is just something I've been wondering about since I saw T3 in the cinema. Bear with me here please. I think I'll spoiler the lot just in case anyone gets excited... ;)
    When John Connors was sending back Reese in Terminator 1, he told Reese to tell Sarah "There is no future except that which we make for ourselves... etc etc" which indicated that John thought the future could be changed significantly. (i.e Judgement Day stopped)
    Sarah would in turn tell John this when he was growing up (before, during and after Terminator 2) Now, why would he bother telling Reese to tell Sarah this if he knew then that Judgement Day could only be postponed?

question for all--- the first time you saw t2 did you know arnie was a good guy?

wonder should i have spoilered that one :p

Para||eL wrote:
    This is just something I've been wondering about since I saw T3 in the cinema. Bear with me here please. I think I'll spoiler the lot just in case anyone gets excited... ;)
    When John Connors was sending back Reese in Terminator 1, he told Reese to tell Sarah "There is no future except that which we make for ourselves... etc etc" which indicated that John thought the future could be changed significantly. (i.e Judgement Day stopped)
    Sarah would in turn tell John this when he was growing up (before, during and after Terminator 2) Now, why would he bother telling Reese to tell Sarah this if he knew then that Judgement Day could only be postponed?

sure time travel itself is never gonna happen, (if it was time would be as reliable as win98 first edition)

so we can't say time travel is possibal in this film but surly (insert plot hole here) can't happen!

sit back eat some popcorn, and enjoy, if it helps try prising out your brains through your ears before you go in

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Yeah I think I did...first time I watched it was on DVD and I watched the trailers before I watched the film, as I sometimes do. It was revealed in one of the later trailers IIRC. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

mukki wrote:
    i bet there will be 2 more films(or more!), a spin off series and then finally a cartoon, before they have sapped up every penny possibal from the whole Terminator notion

Terminator the Musical anyone?

I shouldn't joke... they've done it for Spider-man, so anything's possible....

I thought the 3rd one was better than the 2nd one. I never liked that whole teaching the terminator how to be human rubish...

1st is still the best. They did an amazing job with those effects at the time.

Although it's funny that someone compared Skynet to microsoft... in the first film when see the Terminator's HUD it shows the Motorola 6502 microprocessor assembler code and the 6502 chip was the main CPU for the Apple II computer. This was all before Microsoft screwed over Apple and released Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

the problem i have with terminator 3 (good auld action film) is that it p*sses on the whole message of the first 2 films. Both of those films stated that the future is not definite that judgement day cannot be stopped.

but then t3 comes along and just says. CANNOT BE STOPPED, only avoided. that just made all the events prior to this just seem pointless.

i think T2 is amazing. It presented a similar formula to the first film (even down to most of the scenes) but put loads of fresh twists and t-1000 is one of the best baddies ever!

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    the problem i have with terminator 3 (good auld action film) is that it p*sses on the whole message of the first 2 films. Both of those films stated that the future is not definite that judgement day cannot be stopped.

but then t3 comes along and just says. CANNOT BE STOPPED, only avoided. that just made all the events prior to this just seem pointless.

Hmm... 100% true!

• Advertisement

mukki wrote:
    question for all--- the first time you saw t2 did you know arnie was a good guy?

wonder should i have spoilered that one :p

I believe what happended after the first film was, the press (papers, news...) made Schwarzenegger look like a killing machine.
    So in order to protect his image, from the second terminator film on... he only played the "good" guy any more and he doesn't even kill a single person anymore.
    Maybe i didn't express myself in the right way, but its only what i think happened in 1983-85

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

my favourite is the 2nd one. I liked the third one but its kind of the same old story nowadays in hollywood. Its like their making movies less violent. Like t2 was a violent movie but 3 isn't violent, by which i mean you don't see a big knife going through somebodies head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

t1 was way more violent than t2

t2 was a kids film by comparison

I made an observation recently, if you listen to the soundtracks it tells it all, the t2 theme tune is way over the top, it uses brass and such, thats just wrong, all wrong, the t1 theme is done so much better, its raw, synth much more metalic sounding, without the 'hollywood' over the top buzz. Much more atmospheric.

Advertisement