Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squeaky Floorboards

Options
  • 04-08-2004 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

PLEASE HELP!! I have just come across boards.ie and am busy trying to solve all my problems in different forums. Here's one I will be eternally grateful for if i could get some help. When my house was being built i visited every day to see that things were ok. Unfortunately i left the country for a week when the plumbing as being installed and turned on. The plumber left the heating on 24/7 (by mistake i presume) with the result that it warped the floorboards slightly ... i guess you could say they are very slightly 'scalloped' as if the edges of each board have risen very slightly. I wasn't too perturbed and had them sanded a bit. I was laying carpet so 'no big deal' i thought. However, after a few months the very slight rising has led to the boards being lifted as you walk on them and squeaking like mad. Trying to sneak into bed without waking my husband is a nightmare!!! What can i do? I have been told that i should lift the carpet and sand them flat with a roller sander (?) and screw or nail them if necessary? Is this the way to go?

Thanks in anticiaption of any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Screw them in with screws with serrated edges for best effect. MAKE SURE you check for pipe work and cables underneath first with a detector.

Advertisement