Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architects

Options
  • 03-08-2004 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

Hi
    I'm looking for an architect to draw up plans for a small domestic extention (18 x10 ft.), and I'm led to believe that it is possible to have it done "privately", rather than using a firm of architects. I'm told, to have plans drawn up will cost € 500-€ 700 and for plans planning permission etc through to completion somewhere in the region of €1500 -€1800. Going through the front door of a large A. firm would cost €7500 +VAT.
    My problem is trying to get hold of one who will do "private" work. I know they are out there. Everyone tells me they got one but they can never remember their contact details. The one contact I got from a builder has retired.
    Any help, info, contacts etc greately appreciated.
    Regards
    t

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

tapest wrote:
    Hi
    I'm looking for an architect to draw up plans for a small domestic extention (18 x10 ft.), and I'm led to believe that it is possible to have it done "privately", rather than using a firm of architects. I'm told, to have plans drawn up will cost € 500-€ 700 and for plans planning permission etc through to completion somewhere in the region of €1500 -€1800. Going through the front door of a large A. firm would cost €7500 +VAT.
    My problem is trying to get hold of one who will do "private" work. I know they are out there. Everyone tells me they got one but they can never remember their contact details. The one contact I got from a builder has retired.
    Any help, info, contacts etc greately appreciated.
    Regards
    t

Tapest,
    I got an extension on my place done a year ago (30ftx10ft) and got my brother in law to draw up the plans. He was and still is studying as an architect. He normally charges about what you say "privately" (500-700€). To apply for the permission after that, it doesn't cost in the region you mention. Ywill need a planning package from Ordinance Survey which costs about €60. Cost for planning permission to be processed is about €50. Nothing more after that. Once you get the package from OS, you provide the architect with the site map so he can incorporate it into his drawings. He needs to provide you with 6 copies of everything for the planning office (ask for 7 and keep 1 yourself).
    What area are you in?
    BIL is on summer hols at the moment so I don't think he has the facilities to do all the drawings but I can ask. If thats a dead end, stick an add in a local newspaper. Most junior architects in offices would jump at the chance of a nixer.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Thanks Lex
    the area in question is Nth Dub.---1.5 miles nth of centre.
    You make it sound simple...D.C.C. planning web site don't. So a big ta for that. If I don't get much response here, can I get back to you again??
    Regards
    t

tapest wrote:
    Thanks Lex
    the area in question is Nth Dub.---1.5 miles nth of centre.
    You make it sound simple...D.C.C. planning web site don't. So a big ta for that. If I don't get much response here, can I get back to you again??
    Regards
    t
    Sure. go ahead. He lives in Lucan.
    Best thing for you to do is go into the OS building in the Phoenix Park and just ask for a planning application pack and give them your address. This is everything you need from them. Contains site maps and site layouts of your house. You should be able to download a planning application form from the local CC web site with a checklist of what's required.
    The prices you got from the architects sound a bit steep. It's normally about 5-10% of the build cost. If the BIL can't do it he will know someone who will.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Two of my mates do drawings for PP, one of them is at for a few years now while the other has done a few, there both still studying.

The cost really depends on what your looking for, I mean are you simply looking for drawings for applying for PP, i.e. floor plan, side,front and rear elevations and required sections a long with the site map? Or are you looking for more detailed drawings and specs.

My mates would probably charge in the region 400 for the plans including the 4 copys required for PP.

In regards to the PP you will need OS maps of your location with site outlined in red and a drawing of the site showing the proposed ext on the site. You will then need to put an advert in a local paper.

You will need to present 4 of the following:
    Site Notice
    OS Maps with site outlined in red
    Full set of drawings
    Newpaper page showing noitice paper with the title date.

I thinks thats it, come back to me if you need more info

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

irish1 wrote:
    You will need to present 4 of the following:
    Site Notice
    OS Maps with site outlined in red
    Full set of drawings
    Newpaper page showing noitice paper with the title date.
    These rules have changed on freedom of information grounds - it's now at least 10 copies.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote:
    These rules have changed on freedom of information grounds - it's now at least 10 copies.

My apologies it is now 6
    10. What documents do I need to submit?
    The documents needed with your application will depend
    on the type of development. They will need to show, clearly
    and in sufficient detail, your development proposals, what
    the development will look like when finished, how it will
    relate to the site and to adjoining structures and property
    etc. If you are installing a septic tank, you may need to
    submit trial hole and percolation test results. If you are
    applying for certain types of agricultural development, you
    may need to submit signed agreements with landowners
    regarding effluent spreading. The planning authority can
    clarify the documents and detail needed.
    In general, however, you must always submit the following:
    • the page of the newspaper showing the newspaper notice;
    • a copy of the site notice erected;
    • 6 copies of the location map (at a scale of not less than
    1:1000 in a built-up area and not less than 1:2500 in all
    other areas;
    • a plan showing the position on the land of the site notice;
    • 6 copies of a site or layout plan (at a scale of not less than
    1:500).
    All maps must be in metric scale.
    If the development applies to a protected structure or to
    the exterior of a structure within an architectural
    conservation area, the application must be accompanied by
    photographs, plans and other details, which will show how
    the development will affect the character of the structure.
    See PL12 A Guide to Architectural Heritage for further
    information on development to protected structures.

From http://www.carlow.ie/services/planning/planningguides/MakingPlanningApplication.pdf

its 6 copies....unless it has changed since the end of 2002.
    I got a red pen myself and drew around all the boundaries. The planning pack from the OS office will have everything you need. The architect will use the site location map to scan in and make a scale drawing of it for the PP application. 6 copies of existing dwelling and 6 copies of proposed dwelling. I asked the builder who built our estate for a drawing of the existing dwelling which he provided nicely FOC, so I could give to the architect. For PP drawings the measurements don't have to extremely accurate. The builder might be a bit fussy though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I do not think that you actually need PP for an extension that size. My mother-in-law is building on an extension which is roughly the same as what you are at.
    Check with you local council and see, you may not actually need to, could be different there in Dublin compared to Mayo.

IF you have to it is 6 copies alright of drawings and 6 of site layout and 6 of site maps.

It used to be a case of you buying one copy of the maps from the OS shop and photocopying but they do not allow that now! shower of Sh**Es

5. Can I build an extension?
    Small scale domestic extensions, including conservatories,
    do not require planning permission if the extension is to
    the rear of the house and comply with the following:
    • the original floor area of the house is not increased by
    more than 40 square metres. It is important to note that
    where the house has been extended before, the floor
    area of the extension you are now proposing and the
    floor area of any previous extension, including those for
    which you got planning permission, cannot exceed 40
    square metres;
    • for terraced or semi-detached houses, the floor area of
    any extension above ground level does not exceed 12
    square metres, this includes any previous extensions
    carried out;
    • any extension above ground floor level is at least 2m
    from any boundary;
    • any extension does not exceed the height of the house;
    • any extension does not reduce the area of private open
    space, reserved for the occupants of the house, to less
    than 25 square metres.
    There are also rules about the height allowed in such an
    extension. These are that:
    • if the rear wall of the house does not include a gable, the
    height of the walls of the extension must not exceed the
    height of the rear wall of the house;
    • if the rear wall of the existing house has a gable, the walls
    of the extension (excluding any gable being built as part
    of the extension) shall not be higher than the side walls
    of the house;
    • in the case of a flat roofed extension, the height of the
    highest part of the roof may not exceed the height of the
    eaves or parapet. In any other case, no part of the new
    roof may exceed the highest part of the roof of the
    house;
    • a gable is the upper part of a wall (normally triangular),
    between the sloping ends of a pitched roof.
    There are also rules about the required distances between
    windows in extensions, the facing boundary of the
    adjoining property and the use of the roof of the
    extension. These are;
    • any windows proposed at ground floor level as part of
    an extension should not be less than 1 metre from the
    boundary they face;
    • any windows proposed at above ground level should be
    not less than 11 metres from the boundary they face;
    • the roof of any such extension should not be used as a
    balcony or roof garden.

Thats the regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Thanks guys
    At least now i have a starting point...I'll get on it asap.
    BE warned, i'll probably need your contacts.
    Regards
    t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrhappy42

My brothers wife is architect and does jobs, let me know.

Ps. Cork County Council have a brilliant book on how to fill out a planning application, it really impressed me and I'm using it to put in planning.

Pss. If your going to spend money pay for an Engineer to do the drawing as they know the local situation and have good contacts with builders etc.

Book information:
    "Cork Rural Design Guide" Published by Cork County Council
    December 2003 | ISBN: 0-9525-8694-0 | EAN: 9 780952 586944 | 130 pp

Just as an extra....our neighbour put in a planning application a few months before us for an identical extension. My drawings were done on Autocad and had a serious amount of detail on them, but his looked like they were drawn by hand and then photocopied. He had no issues getting it passed.

Also, if you have any problems filling in the form, like I had a few with some of the questions, I just went into the local town hall and they showed me exactly what to put down. Even if you miss something off your drawing like boundary measurements, they'll just call you up. I had forgotten to put in the distances between the external walls to the property boundaries, so it was just a matter of measuring up with a tape measure and filling them in by hand.

They don't want them to be perfect, after all it's only for planning permission.

Advertisement