Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL2 engine - Things you can't wait to try out?

Options
  • 02-08-2004 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭

Ok going by the numerous AVI's I've watched over the past few months, I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on a hl2 mapping setup.... I'm also thinking of all the funny ideas people are going to be playing around with in their maps.

So the question is...
    What do you think is the first thing you're going to want to test?

I'd like to set up a huge and hillarious domino effect, squashing enemies as it goes... that is, if the physics engine will let me and the secondary impacts don't defuse too much to have a chain going :/
    tbh I'd watch the avi's again but I deleted them :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I'm gonna try setting up like an action shot. Like a house getting blown to **** after a couple of seconds. No doubht it will lag my fps but i heard that hl2 had some movie features like i mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Also there was a cool camera thing they had going where they could pick up the camera with the gravity gun and wave it around while the "video feed" updates in real time... would be cool to attach it to some AI npc and see what they do if you plonk them in the middle of a maze or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

I just want to play the game at this stage

Thanks for the thread-killer tba :P

your welcome:)

wouldnt mind seeing if the physic can be applied to buildings to make them destroyable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Thraktor

Technically, it should be able to, but I wouldn't imagine the average computer getting very good framerates calculating an entire building getting blown apart brick by brick.

As for me, I've got a few little ideas for mods, etc. which I'll be trying out, some completely independent of the physics, but i've got one or two ideas that are completely centred around physics manipulation. Speaking of which, I wonder how good the physics network code is, will we be able to have corpse-flinging contests online?

its a modified havok engine, the same as used in max pane 2

Another thing I was thinking of was a hall of mirrors, but I'm not sure how far the ray depth goes in HL2 so it may only reflect once and look crap.
    Should be countless hours of fun playing with all these new toys anyway :)

hate to hyjack the thread but did anyone see this yet?

http://meqon.com/downloadarea/downloadarea.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Liquid K9

I remember seeing a vid of people mad of both fire and water... thinking that people can be made of any material, I'd like to make a map where npc's duke it out where you've got water vs fire and fire vs wood or even wood vs metal. wood (pun intended) be cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Saviour_Angel

oh hell i cant wait till i get my hands on d real thing...
    i've had for the past 5/6 months been toy-n around in the leak-d version, and hav to say it's pretty damn sweet...:p
    I'm a mapper myself and am amazed at the diffence between wot u cud do in the old hammer and now wots possible in the new hammer..

at the mo i'm in a mod team for HL2, cum along and check us out..
    http://www.rtkdevelopment.com/

PS. sry if i'm break-n rulz by mention-n the leak...

PS. sry if i'm break-n rulz by mention-n the leak...

only the rules of my heart :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

should be fun just making **** blow up :D like Anima said, it'd be cool for a milita2 style movie maybe..

Advertisement