Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sunroof fitting

Options
  • 30-07-2004 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to get an eletric sunroof fitted to an 01 Octavia? Can somebody recommend a good garage to do the job?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Aftermarket sunroof? Me shudders..... :eek:

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,212 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yeah heard bad stories as well. For a good job you'll have to dig deep - might be €600 - €800

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

as Mike suggested - don't! They rarely work out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

Fitting after-market sunroofs, especially to modern cars is a big no-no. Any car that comes with a sunroof normally has a second roofskin in it which houses all the mechanism for a start, which most cars without do not have. There's no real way to install this skin yourself, so most kits are a cut and glue, flip-tilt type jobbie.

They frequently leak and never look like the real deal. If you want a sunroof, you would be best buying a car with one installed, as cutting into your roof will kill the resale value of your motor.

There are some cars which have most of the bits for a sunroof there (including the loom to the roof), but these are few and far between. Even on these cars, you are asking for trouble and huge expense to get something that really needs to be done in the factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Armadillo

I have to agree with the previous 4 posters.
    On the subject....Negative aspects of sunroofs - increase drag when driving, loss of roof height, sunburnt scalp. Positives - someplace to hang out of when your team wins.
    Fiat Stilo has a great sunroof .... (segmented glass electric sunroof) they call it a sky roof. I've seen a honda forum in which they kept referring to the moonroof.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

Thanks lads I thought I might get this responce. Guess I'll leave it then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You'd be amazed (and slightly scared) at was required fit one, there a huge ammount of work involved - cutting the aperture (then repair/repaint the roof panel), new roof panel inside, headlining, drainage, fitting the gearing, the electrics and then as noted above it'll leak anyway! :eek:

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

A mate of mine bought a car with an aftermarket sunroof fitted, the guy that sold it didn't say a word.
    It looked good, nicely finished and operated fine but in anything more that light drizzle particularly when driving fast the water just poured in. There was no fix for it either, a complete waste of an otherwise good car.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,212 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

dodger wrote:
    I've seen a honda forum in which they kept referring to the moonroof.
    :)

That's what the one in my car is called as well. Never used it though, but use the sunroof loads ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 kennear

Got a quote for €1000+ for supply and fit of new sunroof for a Nissan Primera year 99. Nearly chocked when I got quote's from a Rep Nissan garage, Autoglass and another Glass installation company cant remember name. The sunroof will be worth more than the shagging car. Anyways rang around a few car dismantlers and will get one for €100 and will fit it myself. Unfortunately insurance does not cover it. I have (third party fire and theft and also Breakage of windows and windscreen) cover with limit of €223 with FBD. The rep said unfortunately sunroof does not come under breakage of windows :mad: I kept on saying to him that my policy states i am covered for window breakage and that there is a window in the sunroof, he came back to me and said this comes under accidental damage :rolleyes: Anyways I think i will have to go the route of fitting it myself. Anybody ever do one before that could give advise before I start. Or anybody fancy a nixer can pm me with quote.

Cheers and apologies for the long post. Can a mod make this a new post dont know how to create a new one :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Look at how old a thread is before replying please! :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement