Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SG: Atlantis & viewing latest episodes

Options
  • 30-07-2004 9:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

Just a heads up on obtaining the lastest episodes. I'm sure some of us here are too impatient to wait for when/if Atlantis is released on Sky/CH4. I know I'm one of them, but as a warning to those in the same boat, I recieved a call from Esat this earlier this week. It seems MGM studios are now policing a popular p2p client and it's users and notified my dsl provider as to my infringement of copyright.
    I won't name the p2p client as per forum rules, but its the one thats good and quick for tv episodes.
    So i'm just going to have to wait until maybe Sky picks this one up and watch it then and assuming Atlantis runs for a few seasons, we'll get to see the repeats for the next decade.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Emm i like this new qucik reply.
    I HATE PTP i dont let it on my pc. at a party a few eeks ago a friend used a ptp to get music, he used it for less than 20 min and i had 63 viris and spyware in 20 min

PTP sucks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Vuk

User45701 wrote:
    Emm i like this new qucik reply.
    I HATE PTP i dont let it on my pc. at a party a few eeks ago a friend used a ptp to get music, he used it for less than 20 min and i had 63 viris and spyware in 20 min

PTP sucks

If you change 'ptp' to 'email', you could say the same, but thats for another forum.
    PTP for copyrighted material is wrong. PTP for legitimate purposes is a cost effective way of distributing material.
    But then we were talking about Stargate, were we not?

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Thanks for the heads up vuk. Did esat give you a copy of the letter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Micheal Wittman

I thought even discussing P2P software was a banning offense?

Ah well,

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I thought even discussing P2P software was a banning offense?
    Eh nope. Not in my book. There's nothing illegal about P2P software. There is something illegal about links to actual illegal content.
    Interesting case though - MGM aren't winning much respect from me. I may have seen the latest episodes myself, but I'm also buying all the DVDs too. Anyway I think these events are sporadic and rare still but interesting to know it's being pursued here.
    Anyone feel free to comment on the issue but tread carefully and don't say anthing you shouldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Hes not warning you hes warning every one in general not to post links to warze

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

As were on the subject. Whats the legal stance on Bit torrent files? I assume its still considered ptp? Wonder if its monitored by anyone. Ide imagine itd be alot harder to do.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

BT files can be used for illegal purposes just like any other P2P application. And it's very easy to find out who is sharing what (you actually see the IP addresses).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

ixoy wrote:
    BT files can be used for illegal purposes just like any other P2P application. And it's very easy to find out who is sharing what (you actually see the IP addresses).

Really? Well you learn something new everyday. Any BT files ive ever dwnloaded have been from weblinks. Where exactly is the IP data? Never noticed it before?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

I like BT,
    the evil K*Z** is filled with viris :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Vuk

Seen as it's already been mentioned, it was Bittorrent I was using, I did use Kazaa for a while, but as User45701 said it's evil. I never asked them to forward the mail to me, I just said I'd call to halt to what I was doing.
    A pity, I was really looking forward to the next show, I'd noramlly watch the episodes again on TV. It would be nice if Sky would run both series (Atlantis & SG1) together as is the case in the US!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭SLIM19198

check up bluetack.co.uk ;)

Be prepared!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Torrent files (.torrent and .tor) are themselves lists of IP Addresses to both seeds (people with the entire file), and peers (people with parts of the file who are still downloading). In order to determine the identity of the file-sharers, all you have to do is download the torrent yourself, and decode it.

Therefore, every time you use a torrent file, you are making your identity available, and putting yourself at risk to prosecution. Copyright law is now more strict in the EU than it is in the US - you are not allowed to make backup copies of material you have purchased, and there is no "fair use" clause relating to the posession of copyright material. If you get caught, you're stuffed.

Advertisement