Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blake's 7

Options
  • 29-07-2004 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭

I saw a few episodes of this a few years ago on (I think) UK Gold. I was horrified at first by the special effects that impressed as a kid. Then again in those days special effects were very expensive.

I was re-impressed by the story-line and characters. The reason for the kill-off at the end I think was at that point the Beeb had failed to get takers amongst US networks. (I could be wrong - that was what I remember from the time).

If this was the case I reckon it was the scene in the derelict church that killed it for the US. Anyone actually know what happened?

As a kid I definitely felt cheated, and felt the show hadn't run its course. I.e. I hadn't got near to getting sick of it and really wanted more.

Out of curiosity - anyone know what became of the actors?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

"Avon" is running a game show of sorts on BBC3 at the moment called Hercules

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Then again in those days special effects were very expensive.

Actually I think the effects were even pretty cheap for the time.

The super computer Orack was just a fish tank with some christmas lights in it.

I loved the Liberator space ship though, it was a great design.. I sort of lost interest after they lost it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

Yeah, the effects on Blakes 7 were notoriously cheap, but then many BBC sci-fi series at the time were on a similar low budget. Somehow it seems as though it's the cheapness which gives it a certain appeal.

The story lines and the whole scenario were very much darker than Star Trek, Space 1999, or other space series

Have a look here for some of the title sequences, and the very last moments of the final episode:

www.tv-ark.org.uk/cult/culta-k-new.html

Advertisement