Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taps...which way round?

Options
  • 28-07-2004 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Can anyone tell me if there is a "correct" or "normal" way for a pair of hot and cold taps to be installed from, say, left to right as you face them.

We have had a plumber in, and all basin taps are H and C from left to right, but noticed last night that those on the bath are the other way. It would make more sense to my mind for the lot to be one way only, but maybe this is the norm...?

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

my place has hot on the left and cold on the right on every sink as you stand facing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

It's the convention to have hot left, cold right as you face them - but I've seen plenty the other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

It's the same convention in Britain: Hot on left, cold on right.

But as the others have said, it's not at all unusual to find places the other way round, or to have the bath taps one way and the basin the other.

Hot left, cold right is also the norm in the U.S.A., so maybe it's a convention adopted throughout most if not all of the English-speaking world. Not sure about elsewhere though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

Hot on left, cold on right. Same convention everywhere.

Why?

- Most people are right handed,
    - For visually impaired people

It is to prevent people scalding themselves.

If they are not fitted as mentioned above, its because the taps are incorrectly connected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Tom B. Stones

Thanks, everyone. Much obliged.

Will have a word with plumber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Mosyt important thing is to actually have them correct!

Advertisement