Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Driver billed after legally parked car is scrapped

Options
  • 28-07-2004 6:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,251 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,2765-1190457,00.html
    Driver billed after legally parked car is scrapped
    Scott Millar

WHAT could be worse than returning from holidays to find your legally parked car has been towed away and crushed? Receiving a bill for €125 two weeks later from the local council for their services, perhaps.

A doctor from Montague Street in Dublin city centre, who does not want to be named, went on his honeymoon in early June, leaving his 1990 Nissan vanette parked near his house. The car had a valid parking disk, was insured, and was showing a tax disc valid until the end of May.

When he returned from his two-week holiday, the doctor discovered the car was gone. In his letter box he found a note from Dublin city council saying that he had 24 hours to remove the “damaged” car from where it was parked.

On contacting the council, he was told the Nissan had already been removed and crushed on June 8. Officials explained that it had been damaged while the owner was abroad, and therefore was considered fair game by the council’s abandoned car and graffiti officer.

His bemusement turned to anger, however, when the doctor received a bill for €125 two weeks later to cover the council’s expenses.

He said: “I fully understand that the council must take action on abandoned cars and other forms of dereliction but to have my car removed and crushed and then be expected to pay for the pleasure seems a little over the top.

“I had a valid permit for where it was parked. It was insured and the tax disc was out but within the grace period. The council had left a note, but as I was on my honeymoon I didn’t make it back in time.”

The doctor hopes the council will forsake its claim for the €125 bill.

“Now my main concern is to ensure the council takes its other duties to the street as seriously as it takes the destruction of people’s cars,” he said.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

Poor guy. Wonder why he didnt want to be named...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

that's mad ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Surely he has some sort of redress for this? Unless someone had repeatedly banged into his car, I don't think a small dent would count as "damaged, worthy of removal". Of course, the vehicle being what it was probably isn't worth the expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Originally posted by gobby
    Poor guy. Wonder why he didnt want to be named...

Doctor with 1990 Nissan Vanette perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

Originally posted by John R
    Doctor with 1990 Nissan Vanette perhaps?
    Heh... Good call! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Obviously didn't benefit from the medical card scheme! :-)

Like the clamping of the "sick child in mercy dash to hospital" I think there is more to this story than meets the eye. Perhaps the vanette had been there for some time ....

Advertisement