Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting roller blinds to stay down

Options
  • 25-07-2004 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Our house has some roller blinds that were here when we moved. Probably about 10 years old. Not exactly our style but we'll probably have to live with them for another year or so.

Problem is that some of them don't stay down too well and just roll back up as soon as you let them go. Is this just a worn mechanism or can something be done to get them working again?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭beer enigma

It's Roller blind Syndrome.....a documented problem that all roller blinds seem to suffer from, new & old.

There is no known cure, although you might try to loosen the tension on the springs as the tighter the re-coil, the more prone they are to spring back up.

If the re-coil is fairly sharp, take the blind down while its in the 'up' position & just unravel the blind one full length, then put the blind back & try it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Remove the blind from the rail. Tighten the spring on the side that has the flat bar rather than the rounded bar. This shoudl solve your problem.

Surely if you tighten the spring even more with a potentially worn mechanism inside, you increase the chance of the thing snapping back up......

Watch your fingers is all I'll say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Lemo

Before you two get into a fight over this... :-)

Armed with both pieces of advice, I went to the worst culprit - a blind that would not stay down at all. The first thing I noticed was that the flat piece was wedged into the bracket. I had to get a pliers to free it. When I did, the spring uncoiled so that the blind just rolled down to the floor. I took it off and rolled it up by hand before replacing it. This time, I made sure the flat part went into the other notch on the bracket. It seems to be working much better now. It could probably do with a bit more tightening but it's fine for now.

Thanks for your help. I'm not really sure what it was that did the trick but I'll try the other ones.

Lol - he's probably bigger than me, but i know karate ! :ninja:

Glad you found a solution.........

• Advertisement
Advertisement