Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buggy recently released games.

Options
  • 24-07-2004 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or have many of the games that have been released recently have been in very bad shape until the first/second patch arrives for them.

In particular, this is a problem with EA.

My copy of rugby 2004 for instance is a disgrace. Not only does the game reboot the pc when you try to start the game about 50% of the time, the same games regularly get corrupted, the sound quality is accompanied by a feint high pitched noise and there are several gameplay bugs(for instace the goal kicking doesnt always work as it should). The worst thing about this is that there have been no patches released and it doesnt look like EA intend to release any,

Again Battlefield 1942 was released with a huge number of bugs including a ridiculously annoying graphics glitch where the screen would "jump" every 2-3 seconds.

Possibly its just me but EA seem to be the only culprits of releasing sub standard games (games published by atari which i purchased recently ala ut2k3 and neverwinter nights) have ran perfectly without the need for patches

This is half a rant and half a declaration of my intention of never buying another EA game until they get their act together. I know my one man campaign will make **** all difference but at least i will be safe in the knowledge that my money will be going towards publishers/developers that release games when they're ready, not when the marketing people said they should.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Soldner buggy piece of crap ,JO typhoon thingy massive buglist actually every game i have got over last few months has req a patch almost immediatley.

kdjac

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by Truckle
    Possibly its just me but EA seem to be the only culprits of releasing sub standard games (games published by atari which i purchased recently ala ut2k3 and neverwinter nights) have ran perfectly without the need for patches.

No it's just you. Infrograms/Atari and the words ‘sub-standard games’ fit perfectly – but it’s usually down to just bad games and not the need for patches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Originally posted by monument
    No it's just you. Infrograms/Atari and the words ‘sub-standard games’ fit perfectly – but it’s usually down to just bad games and not the need for patches.

Ooer perhaps i didnt make myself clear here, i mean sub standard as in very buggy, not how good or bad the game is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Every game I've played in the last few months has required patches Thief 3 was the worst of the lost although Far Cry losing me 2 hours of my time because I had to redo an entire level was also frustrating:mad:. It's true though all recent new games seem to need patching.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by Truckle
    Ooer perhaps i didnt make myself clear here, i mean sub standard as in very buggy, not how good or bad the game is.

Yea, I did say... "but it’s usually down to just bad games and not the need for patches"... I just like making fun of Infrograms/Atari, that is all.

BTW were the problems with BF1942 and Far Cry limited to compatibility with certain hardware?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

All I will say is EA showed shoddy support to the Shogun Total war community 3-4 years back I was a huge fan of the game. Promises where made to improve thing and implement features nothing ever happened. I found medivel total war buggy as well.

Regardless of the complaints levelled against Far Cry I'm a fan of UBI soft there games although buggy get patched. IL2 Sturmovik Fligth sim and its sequels and add on packs have always been supported long after theere release and countine to do so with bugs beenm fixed and a constant refinement of the flight model and the addition of new aircraft (the flight model is still pants but its so far ahead of the competition no other WWII flight sim is worth playing). Rainbow 6 series is another example of there efforts to address issues. There far from perfect but all games need fixing.

A game like far cry is so good anyway I reckon we owe the designers for making it and that support to fix issues is a bonus. Look at those poor saps on consoles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

i realy hate EA i wont go into it, would take too long
    but i do avoide EA published games most the time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

so many of us declare our hatred for EA (the anti-gaming co.) yet they still outsell pretty much anyone else by a mile, with 100s of crappy rehashed franchise games, its shocking

i have respect for ubisoft, they've really come together in the past year with some excellent games (worthy of sequels, take note EA)
    i dont think we'll see PoP: Underground or BGE 2005/6/7/8

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Again Battlefield 1942 was released with a huge number of bugs including a ridiculously annoying graphics glitch where the screen would "jump" every 2-3 seconds.

Battlefeild veitnam is the same its buggy laggy and unblanced seems ea/dice have never heard of beta testing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

ubisoft are still patching raven shield 16months after release, which is quite excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

EA Released 82 Titles last year....thats a amazing ammount of games to release in one year compared to other publishers which only do half that number....so there quality control is surely going to suffer as a result,usually patches are created when developers are nearing there gold date and so they say ''ok feck the rest of these bugs we will just release a patch instead of missing our gold date'' which would cause them to loose a lot of money....With Blizzard patches they try to ease the pain of big downloads by adding new content such as new maps or units into the patch,so ppl kinda forget about the bugs and think ''o cool a new unit to play with'' which is a nice idea.

:)
    CC

Advertisement