Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mustard ice cream

Options
  • 23-07-2004 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

What would this be like? Anyone out there who has an ice cream maker and is willing to experiment?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

couldnt you just use mustard as a topping to test the taste then maybe buy a ice cream making kit if the taste is promising?
    then mail your idea to hp im sure they would be very interested

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

there was an article on the radio this morning (cant remember what station) but they were saying that in Jaban their suffering a sort of heat wave over there and they've come out with horse flavoured ice cream and seaweed flavour. not too long before mustard ice cream appears i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Originally posted by smoke-me-a-kipper
    there was an article on the radio this morning (cant remember what station) but they were saying that in Jaban their suffering a sort of heat wave over there and they've come out with horse flavoured ice cream and seaweed flavour. not too long before mustard ice cream appears i suppose.

That's what inspired me to post this.

Mustard ice cream - so crazy it might just be genius. The contrast of heat and cold, think of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

reminds me of the blood ice cream they were giving to tigers in the zoo to keep em cool

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

It causes any eater to implode.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

There's a dessert in Wagamamas (just below the Stephen's Green shopping centre) that's icecream and wasabi, it was mentioned on another thread here, that might be worth a try. I keep meaning to go for it some time ...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I was just thinking of wasabi ice-cream today having read this thread..and lo-and-behold, it's true..it exists!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I even found a recipe for mustard ice ceram here :
    Mustard Ice Cream

6 large egg yolks
    2 cups whole milk
    1 cup heavy cream
    1 1/2 tablespoons French Dijon mustard

Equipment Ice cream maker

Place the egg yolks in a medium-size bowl and whisk to blend. In a heavy saucepan, cook the milk over medium heat until bubbles form around the edges. Slowly whisk the hot milk into the egg yolks. Return this mixture to the saucepan. Rinse out and dry the mixing bowl, then set a fine mesh sieve on top. Set it aside. Place the saucepan over low heat. Using a wooden spoon, stir the sauce gently but consistently, sweeping the entire pan bottom and reaching into the corners. As soon as the sauce is slightly thickened, remove the pan from the heat and stir gently for 2 minutes to complete the cooking. The sauce should be the consistency of heavy cream and register around 170 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer. When the mixture is thoroughly cooled, transfer it to an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.

I wonder, could we come up with a mustard dominated several course meal.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Hmm there is a challenge!

My suggestion for a 1st Course is a simple dish:

Asparagus in a wholegrain mustard vinaigrette

nyom

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

you have taking it to far mustard ice cream yacky!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

JAM!

/me weeps in boredom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

An interesting idea. The combination of hot and cold could be very tasty. Must see about trying some other, sweeter spices too...

I ust realised I know someone who'd be far too willing to try icecream and mustard (she already loves cheese in her coffee...) and I'm meeting up with ther later. I shall broach the subject and see what happens...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

i can imagine getting a 99 and the guy serving it in aw as you cover it in mustard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Mistakill

as for the hot versus cold thing, cinamon ice cream is savage.
    might actually mix (like chocolate and sausage)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

ecksor wrote:
    There's a dessert in Wagamamas (just below the Stephen's Green shopping centre) that's icecream and wasabi, it was mentioned on another thread here, that might be worth a try. I keep meaning to go for it some time ...
    Dragging up old threads I know ...

While rambling 'round town we decided to potter in to Wagamamas for some grub. For dessert I had some of this ... Very nice indeed! Thoroughly enjoyed it!

I hadn't gotten around to it before I moved away from Dublin, but not to worry, there's one opening here soon \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I heartily endorse that product and/or service.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The "best chef in Britain" apparently thinks it's a goer. I don't think that's Bray Co. Wicklow btw.

Advertisement