Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cap guns

Options
  • 23-07-2004 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭

I *pause* sigh.

Have to get my breath back.

ahem. Cap guns rule. My lil bro just showed me his steel rifle that uses the caps (the the line of caps, the circle ones with 8 bullets(yes bullets).

My words at the time? "I want to be a kid again" . Remmeber when you'd fly around your kitchen, killing enemys and what not, doing tumbles along the floor as u click the lil button on the side, which sends the clip holder up? Desperatly trying to reload your rounds while bullets whizz pass your head?

Where they or where they not the days??

needless to say i now owe my brother a few rolls of caps..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

those caps were bad value
    i always used the ones with about 100 on a roll of paper
    anyone remember the tricks you could do with them like wrap them around a coin and then spin the coin to make loads of the go off?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Nemici

another trick was to put a long pin through every single cap on a role, then place it in a steel pipe and create a simple fuse (from a firework will do), light it and stand well back, i dont know how it worked but it was like a pipe bomb. and sometimes had multiple explosions. so the rule was light and never return.

cap guns were less dangerous and more fun tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

what about getting the matches in those days that werent so friendly the ones that had the red tips....used to scrap these off and get two bolt screws and a nut and put bolt on screw and place red bits in middle and screw the other half on and throw in air and RUN!!!!!!!!!!

Or just now that comes to mind what about the clothes Peg rifles i used to make get a 2by1 piece of wood and put a nail at top and get one of those solid pegs and nail it at other end and get an elastic and break another peg attach elastic to metal bit in peg and ur up and running.....place elastic at top and stretch metal bit down to peg u had nailed in wood,open peg insert metal peg bit and watchout ENEMIES on my old street.....everyone one THOSE WHERE THE DAYS MY FRIEND I THOUGHT THEY'D NEVER END!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Naos

yeh man, peg guns were class.

Another one was berry poppers or cherry poppers.

You'd get a 500ml bottle and cut the lid and a bit of the bottle off you you have a funnel \ /
    shape | |

then get a pair of your mams washing up gloves (the yellow ones or pink ones) and cut a finger off (cut off 5 cos they snap sometimes hehe) anyway place over the top of the lid, so no you have a funnel with a plastic glove finger over the lid, and place a berry in top of funnel, pull back the finger without squishing the berry and PHHEEEEEEEM! Those things could fly, and splat a lot hehee

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Staying on the nostalgic road of "Toys that can cause you to lose and eye", anybody remember spud guns? At least I think that's what they were called.

The were black metal toy guns, you shoved the front of the gun into a potato, it pulled out a small piece of spud and you "fired" it (the bit of spud, that is).

Not only that, but it came with a red nozzle type thing that you placed over the barrel, allowing you to "syringe" up water to squirt people with.

To top off this exquisite piece of hardware, there was a hammer thing towards the back so you could fire caps (if that's what you do to caps).

Hours of endless fun.

• Advertisement

@tom dunne

Actually other day i went into local news agent and seen two spud guns plus targets and other stuff for wait for it only....2.95 euro.....As i was walking out i spotted them and i heard a Voice saying in head "Hey spud gun!" so went back in and was going to buy them as head was saying "hey my son would love this".....but would of been for me really hehehe.....but in end better judgement won over me as i had a vision of son popping my eye out with spud gun or his sister and end up in childrens hospital for hours of waiting fun.......haha....

SHAME ON YOU!

You gotta buy it for him man. You havent lived a childhood unless ye have a spud gun. sure half the craic of being a kid was gettin into those dumb ass situations, like riding a bike and then puttin both feet on the cross bar, as u fly down a hill hoping to god you dont hit a pebble on the road.

buy the kid the gun, set up the targes. also another thing to buy him is a bow and arrow. my lil bro also has one of these, me and my older bro wage war on each other from time to time, sneaky little arrow in the head and what not.

sure last christmas we were leggin it around (im 18 hes 24) and shooting each other iwith bow and arrows and the guns that fire them red darts thing. Then we had a game where u couldnt move and we had to shoot an arrow at each other in turn, only allowed to wear them stupid ass thick glasses which magnified everything.

god nostalgia is a great thing..

Yeah he has the bow and arrow thing....ok ok you've convinced me getting Spud gun tomorrow and he's getting a small spud to go with it and im getting a Big un now thats fair aint it...haha........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

That first sight is very scary. Why would anyone need a speed loader for bb's?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by MarVeL
    That first sight is very scary. Why would anyone need a speed loader for bb's?

Americans need I say more?

yo mad m, you by ur kids the guns? and ur super spud gun for urself?

*equips the shame spud gun*

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Ah, spud guns... sure brings back memories. I remember myself and my mate sitting in the back seat of the bus coming home from national schooland picking out targets further up the bus, great fun :D One of the guys sitting with us wanted a go, but we wouldn't let him (he wasn't the sharpest at the time) Anyway after his constant nagging we gave him a shot... he manages to hit a girl in the seat in front of us behind the ear and she squealed... I took the heat and the principal confiscated my gun :( and labelled me "sharp shooter", hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

When we were kids if you ran out of caps we used to say "I have a silencer".
    The innocence of youth.

Hagar wrote:
    When we were kids if you ran out of caps we used to say "I have a silencer".
    The innocence of youth.

haha great "silencer",ah kids these days dont know there born...with there super quirter gun and these repeater guns that would make you run....

Anyone make there own karts with wheels from the grannies old shopping trolly the upright one that gran used to pull along but no more as wheels went on my hand made kart with a plank and couple of 2x1's....and some dodgy seat ....used to fly down huge hill to test it and sometimes we used to say "Hueston were breaking up" and wheels falling off haha.....whatever happened to rounders and ropes being tied up on a lampost and swing around till you get wrapped round pole till it hurts or worse....

I was street wise up in crumlin but these days you cant let kids out which is a shame!but i suppose its our faults as well with TV and GBA and playstations...Dont get me wrong i try and get my kids out as much as possible but i would love to be able to let them out like i used to be allowed.Kids have it on a plate these days...When i was growing up in crumlin my uncle used to be a binman and he used to bring toys home to me from work,some were good others were crap but kids used to think i was spoiled hehe, little did they know that they were from someones rubbish...

anyway my final word is Ode to the Spud,cap,rubber(home made)gun....

goodluck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Micheal Wittman

Well they do have "Cap" guns for the older Fan. I have a marushin MP40 SMG myself. It doesnt use caps though - too primitive. It uses PFC blowback to simulate "Bullets" firing. When u fire the mechanisim it works the exact same as a real MP40 ejecting the spent brass "bullets" onto the ground. There is also smoke and a muzzle flash.

Theres a movie of it firing here

http://www.modelguns.co.uk/MarusMP40.htm

This is a movie quality reproduction costing around 500+

Isnt it great?

Well they do have "Cap" guns for the older Fan. I have a marushin MP40 SMG myself. It doesnt use caps though - too primitive. It uses PFC blowback to simulate "Bullets" firing. When u fire the mechanisim it works the exact same as a real MP40 ejecting the spent brass "bullets" onto the ground. There is also smoke and a muzzle flash.

Theres a movie of it firing here

http://www.modelguns.co.uk/MarusMP40.htm

This is a movie quality reproduction costing around 500+

Isnt it great?

It certainly is amazing piece of kit...i once had when was younger a 1:1scale model of a Colt45,was in UK and went into a model shop and seen it as an airfix so made it up and had hollow casings and you put cap inside of casing and load it up like real gun and did exactly like the MP40......

Are they legal in ireland those types of guns,machine guns Micheal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Micheal Wittman

Yes , they are leagal. There's no reason why they shouldn't be. It isn't classified as a firearm ad does not have a barrel neither does any projectiles exit the barrel.

Still saying that though you are not allowed bring these outside especially to "fire" them. I can see a lot of screams if I fired this out on my front lanwn :)

I remember it went through a check at customs and got the all clear so I'm ok:)

Advertisement