Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrading to 2.6 from 2.4

Options
  • 23-07-2004 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭

k so i need a real dummies guide to upgrading the gnome kernal 2.4 to 2.6

can ne1 help...totally newbie here to compiling....

is this advised? ne1 got good links?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The linux kernel and the Gnome desktop are two totally seperate things.

Which linux distribution (and version) are you using? Knowing this will help posters here tell you what you need to do for your specific case.

You will more than likely either be able to download and install a precompiled kernel package for your distribution or upgrade your distribution to an newer version that works with a 2.6 kernel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭sinus

like i said i am a total newbie...
    running red hat 7.2 with gnome 2.4
    have a dvd with 2.6 on it where do i go next....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Now I'm even more confused. I'm not sure what you actually want to upgrade.

Both Gnome and the Linux Kernel iself are currently at version 2.6.

So you have RedHat 7.2 (which is ancient) with Gnome 2.4. Did you previously upgrade to Gnome 2.4 as it's too new to have come with RedHat 7.2.

What exactly is on the DVD? Is it Gnome 2.6 or Fedora (FC2)?

To be honest, you should really just upgrade to (install) an up to date distribution which will come with all the things you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Well when I was compiling and building my new 2.6.7 kernel I used the HOWTO here. I found it helpful and easy to follow.

But you are being quite vague, do you want to update Gnome or the linux kernel? The Linux kernel is the low level stuff that deal with hardware and all. It's what Linus Torvalds started writing in 1991 (and look where we are now...), whereas Gnome is a Window manager. It is in charge of displaying the windows and stuff.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by Syth
    Gnome is a Window manager. It is in charge of displaying the windows and stuff.
    [pedantic] No, it's not - it's a desktop environment. My GNOME environment uses the metacity window manager. [/pedantic]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

[pedantic] No, it's not - it's a desktop environment. My GNOME environment uses the metacity window manager. [/pedantic]
    Oh yeah, you're right. I'm not to sure about all the terminology.

Advertisement