Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] ESRI proposes universal carbon tax

Options
  • 22-07-2004 4:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,250 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/business/2004/0721/carbon.html
    ESRI proposes universal carbon tax
    July 21, 2004 16:40

A new study carried out for the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) found that applying carbon taxes across the board, while compensating low income households, would maximise the incentive to become more energy efficient.

The study, which was carried out by the ESRI, found that carbon taxes need not hurt the economically disadvantaged, because the yield from these taxes could be used to compensate them.

The study found that revenues from carbon tax could provide €246 of compensation to low income households, which would be equivalent to the amount of carbon tax that they paid.

The report examined the effect on households of a carbon tax levied on fuel purchases at the full rate of €20 per tonne of CO2.

Low income households spend a higher share of the weekly budget on energy, because they use fuels that are high emitters of carbon dioxide and because they cannot easily change their heating equipment.

The study found that people who used above average levels of carbon-based energy or who used energy wastefully would be negatively effected by carbon taxes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

I am torn as to my opinion on this tax. On one hand, I can see the point i.e. to try and get people to move away from traditional fossil fuels, but, the flip side of this is the government at large doesnt really offer any commercial alternatives such as solar and wind power to the public.

The only way I per se can get my hands on a solar alternative to the ESB's power supply to my house, is to go private and I would imagine that the initial overhead of buying the equipment and installing it would be quite high. Now if the ESB were to offer this sort of service and make their money from the installation and servicing of the equipment (or something along those lines) it might be something that had a larger uptake.

K-

Advertisement