Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quick insurance question

Options
  • 21-07-2004 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

If I am a policy holder and I decide to put my girlfriend on as a name driver does her name appear on the insurance cert.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Yes you will get a new certificate with her name under the named drivers section, also in some cases you may even get a reduction in premium for having your girlfriend as a named driver, especially if she also has her own car.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Yep, named drivers usually appear on the cert under an 'other drivers' section

DC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Thanks

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I have done this before (to have my wife included) and the AA don't send me out a new policy cert. However, make sure that they do because you have no real guarrantee that she is covered.
    On a side issue, if a named driver makes a claim through this policy it would affect your NCB and not their own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

What about if she is pulled over and asked to produce and her name isnt on the policy. Is it an offence.

• Advertisement

well in my case, it doesn't really matter as I got the reduction for having her but she won't drive either of my cars as she know what Id be like if she did anything wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by HashSlinging
    What about if she is pulled over and asked to produce and her name isnt on the policy. Is it an offence.
    Not necessarily. It's an offence to drive uninsured, but not having an insurance certficate to produce within 10 days is no proof that one is uninsured (it may be in the post). When I bought my new bike, I didn't have an insurance cert for 15 days, but I was legally insured.

The majority of insurance certs will have all named drivers included on them. If it doesn't, and she gets pulled over, you go to the Garda station, explain the situation to them, and they'll ask you to produce the cert once you get it from your insurance company. Then ring your insurance co., and kick their ass into gear.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

All this giving out about insurance companies....

Did you know that if you cancel your policy you are supposed to send your disc and cert back to the insurance company within 10 days...

Now how many of you have done that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

I have sent my old insurance certs and disc back because in the space of three weeks I had to get new certs as first I changed car and my insurance company kept making errors with my cert even taking it upon themselves to send out my insurance cert to my wife's old address rather than our home.:eek:

Originally posted by Chief---
    Did you know that if you cancel your policy you are supposed to send your disc and cert back to the insurance company within 10 days...
    Yes!
    Now how many of you have done that :)
    Not me as I have never cancelled a policy!

• Advertisement
Advertisement