Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorcycle problem

Options
  • 21-07-2004 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Folks,

My mate is having a dangerous problem with his bike , too bad now to drive the thing , he brought it to a repair shop and two people he knows (none of which knew how to solve the problem) so any advice please ,

Right so , say for instance he's stopped at lights , in neutral , bike stationary.

if he revs the engine (this problem happens at any given rev between 2 and 5 thousand revs pm) then he can feeel the bike start to pull away (like it's in gear)

but it's not in gear, we've double checked all this , if it's idleing then it's fine , but if he revs in neutral then it pulls away again , clicking into first goes through no problem (not a gate problem).

as i said the garage took a look at the bike and couldnt diagnose the problem , the clutch has been dismantled 3 times by 3 people and still no joy.

any suggestions from experienced bikers as to what the problem is , ehh no wild guesses please , every car driver amongst our mates has thrown in their two cents but in all fairness it's vastly different from a car setup (no sh!t sherlock)

The bike is a lovely Deauville about 4years old , is this a common problem?

Thanks in advance

Fionn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've heard of it before, but I can't remember where, which is absolutely no use to you. :)

As you say, it seems like one of those problems where everyone has a theory....so I won't give mine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

actually you just did , your the second person to say they have heard of this before (as a common prob ) , so I reckon there must be a checklist somewhere ,

as in it could be a problem with a number of components , i'll keep googleing i suppose ,

anyone else ???

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

If the bike moves when the gears are in neutral, would it not be more a problem with the gearbox as, if the selector is in the neutral position even if the clutch was jammed in engaged position the gears should just spin freely and not send power to the wheels through the chain, belt, shaft?

Ignore above I have also heard of this problem though never experienced it on a Yamaha Dragstar, Virago of HD Fatboy, although i did notice when the virago was up on its mainstand that the back wheel would rotate slowly when the bike was in nuetral.

I ahve heard that this can be a problem with the oil in the clutch sticking maybe the oil is too heavy and that one way to break it is to freewhell the bike when cold in gear back and then forward with the clutch disengaged and then engaged.

some solid diagnosis there, didn;t want ot have to open up the gearbox ,

was hoping to eliminate everythng else first

does anyone know of a reputable place for sending it into ???

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I have heard good reports about the guys in NDM (north dublin motorcycles).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I think your gear cogs could have been offset a little... can happen if the gearbox gets a bad whack.. happened to my outboard engine before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Haket

The Deauville gearbox is known to be a weak spot, seems a likely culprit. Have you gone to Google looking for owners groups ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

If the bike is deffo in neutral then it could possibly be the wrong oil causing drag in the gearbox. It has been known for people to switch to a different oil thinking they will do their engine a favour, neglecting the fact the gearbox uses the same oil.

My GSXR400 would inch forward at lights when in first gear with the clutch pulled in. No amount of clutch adjustment would cure it. I downloaded an exploded view of the clutch and gearbox and stripped it. I found one too many clutch plates in there :rolleyes: 'twas perfect afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 AidoX

I have seen a tread about this on a deauville forum in the UK, its seems to happen to some DVs once they go over 15K miles... I'll root it out. I have not had this problem with mine

nice one aidox

• Advertisement
Advertisement