Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

low grade buzzing noise coming from computer..

• 21-07-2004 7:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭

Over the last month now, my computer has started to make a noise like...a bee trapped in a bottle, basicly. This only starts once the computer has been on for at least 8hrs. Sometimes it wont happen at all.

I removed my side case to have a listen, and I discovered that the other problem (a horrible whirring noise), was coming from the side case fan. Once I disconnected this, all irregular noises stopped entirely. Until today, anyway.

The buzzing noise has started again. I put my ear up near some components inside the case, but couldnt put my finger on what was making the noise. Although it sounds like its coming from the fan at the back of the case.

Another problem is that sometimes when Im scrolling through websites/playing a game, my graphics card will make a high-pitch screeching noise. Which is really horrible to hear. Card is a GeForceFX5700Ultra.

Anybody got any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

My FX5950 makes a similar, loud buzzing noise when its put under load. It was quite strange at first, but it appears to be normal. Doesnt make a screeching noise though..?

Matt

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

My PC was doing that for a while, one of the screws holding the PSU in had come a little bit loose. It could also be that your case has warped a little and there's a small gap somewhere try finding exactly where the noise seems to come from and try putting little bits of paper or cardboard anywhere some metal might be vibrating off another piece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Aye my 5900 Ultra sometimes makes a hi-pitch noise when in game menus and stuff :confused:

Did u check the northbridge fan...if there is one...they tend to die after a short amount of time

CC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Originally posted by Tellox
    Another problem is that sometimes when Im scrolling through websites/playing a game, my graphics card will make a high-pitch screeching noise. Which is really horrible to hear. Card is a GeForceFX5700Ultra.

Anybody got any ideas?

I would say this is your monitor, running at a resolution and refresh rate combination that it doesn't like. For example, my monitor will happily do 1024x768 at 120hz, but it won't do 800x600 at 120hz because it will squeal. It will do 800x600 at 144hz though. When you launch a game, it changes the resolution and/or refresh rate. Edit the config to change resoultion or refresh rate and test it the screeching is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

My NF7-S's northbridge fan makes the most irritating whining noise. I've been meaning to replace it with a zalman heatsink but I've been waiting till I need something else to order it, don't think i could justify the delivery cost for one of those on its own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

Could it be coming from your fans (ie needs oiling?). Somethign similar happened to the fan in my old pc now and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Zakalwe

I'll bet PSU. I'm not talking PSU fans, but the actual PSU itself. Buzzing from a PSU transformer is not uncommon especially after it heats up. Try cooling the case a bit better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Originally posted by Stephen
    My NF7-S's northbridge fan makes the most irritating whining noise. I've been meaning to replace it with a zalman heatsink but I've been waiting till I need something else to order it, don't think i could justify the delivery cost for one of those on its own.

I got one from, peats of parnell like.

You may aswell get one there if your close enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

i live in the south east... only in dublin once every few months.

Advertisement