Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Air-rifle

• 18-07-2004 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recomend a make and model of an Air-rifle and scope for a novice target shooter, and an approximate price.

Also, has the requirement of a "Gun-Safe" been implemented?

Nick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

For ISSF target shooting?

Probably something along the lines of a wooden stocked Feinwerkbau 600 series. That's what I started on. Secondhand mint condition ones should be selling for around 400-600 euros, new nearly a thousand or more. The top-of-the-line P700s go for 1600 or so, but to be honest you don't need them till you're hitting 570 or more.

Anschutz do have the best reputation for after-sales care, and I personally use and love my 2002CA. It does have a very slight recoil though, some people hate that, some love it. Sortof like marmite really...

Steyr have a unique model which actually breaks down into three pieces so you can use a smaller carrying case. I've used it and it's quite nice, and if you're right or left handed it doesn't matter, just change pistol grips, which is kindof unusual.

Hamerelli do a nice aluminium stock one, but it's not really a beginners model.

Avoid FWB300 series and older Daisys and the like. They're not really worth it anymore, except for training purposes, and that's a long way from beginnerhood.

In Ireland, basicly, there are three main types of air rifle seen on the firing lines - Feinwerkbau 600 series models (the 600,601 and 603), Feinwerkbau P70s (the compressed air version), and Anschutz 2002CAs. Wooden/Aluminium stocks are now about half-and-half on the lines, but to be honest, I wouldn't start a beginner on an aluminium frame model.

If you wanted to treat yourself, you could get a compressed air model, so you don't have to crank the rifle after every shot - as I recall, the price of a 2002CA and a 2001 (which you crank) was the same. You will need a scuba tank to fill the rifle's tank though, that's another 200 or so euros, and a fiver every few months to refill it, plus a tenner or so every five years for inspection (scuba tanks need to be inspected visually every year and hydrostatically - pumped full of water - every five. And you don't want to skimp, an exploding scuba tank will go through several walls and floors...).

You don't have a scope, by the way, it's iron sights. Unless you're thinking of field air rifle, which is a whole different ballgame.

You could order directly from the manufacturer, or through a gunsmith. PM me with where you are in the country and I'll pass on some contact details for gunsmiths. (They'll handle importation orders and all that fun stuff).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Oh, and gun safes have not yet been implemented. They're in the Criminal Justice Bill 2004 which doesn't come into effect until before Christmas at the earliest. But to be honest, buying a gun and not buying a gun safe is just a bad, bad idea anyway. Me, I've got a gun safe in a wardrobe, and trigger locks on my air rifle and .22 rifle just to be sure. We've not managed to have a perfect safety record for 203 years without being careful...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Number6

PM sent

Advertisement