Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Minor derailment on Luas line

Options
  • 17-07-2004 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2004/0717/luas.html
    Minor derailment on Luas line
    17 July 2004 22:27

A Luas carriage suffered a minor derailment in Dublin this evening.

The tram was en route to Sandyford station from the local depot just after 6pm when its front wheels left the track.

No passengers were on board at the time.

The incident meant that other trams could not travel from Balally to Sandyford, and passengers were transported between the stops by a shuttlebus.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

A minor derailment? Like beig slightly pregnant I suppose! I notice there was a hell oa lot of track activity on the bend from Cookstown road (not sure) and the section that runs parallel to the M50 (just at J10) up to the Red Cow depot. No trams in sight though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

I suppose its like:
    "tram slipped slightly off the track with nobody on board and caused no damage"
    versus
    "fully laden tram travelling at full speed derailed off miltown viaduct, and plowed into a double decker bus which was traveling under the bridge. Half of the tram ended up in the river where the electrical door motors failed and the carriage slowly filled with water..."

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://home.eircom.net/content/unison/national/3615092?view=Eircomnet
    Bus used after Luas derailed
    Sunday, 18th July, 2004

A LUAS carriage suffered a minor derailment in Dublin yesterday evening when the front wheels of a tram left the track as it travelled from a depot in Sandyford to the local station. No passengers were on board. Other trams were unable to travel from Balally to Sandyford and a shuttle bus was used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

:p So much for the much vaunted consistency in travel time for the Clueless, at least a bus can overtake a broken down bus with ease!

Bee

So much for the much vaunted consistency in travel time for the Clueless

Errr...what's the relevance of this statement. You're a brave and lonely person to be using the word "Clueless" as it the system is proving to be stable and consistent.
    at least a bus can overtake a broken down bus with ease!

Really? Any other obvious statements you would like to make???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

This wasn't another one of those 'test' derailments?

They did that few months ago to see how the fire/police etc.. would respond. The press thought the tram had actually come flying off the tracks...

It's something you expect to happen. IR can have 3-4 per week on the network or so I have heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭morlan

Originally posted by maxheadroom

"fully laden tram travelling at full speed derailed off miltown viaduct, and plowed into a double decker bus which was traveling under the bridge. Half of the tram ended up in the river where the electrical door motors failed and the carriage slowly filled with water..."
    :p

:eek: :p

Is this the first unexplained derailment? I mean, there must be something wrong with that section of track at the depot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

Errr...what's the relevance of this statement. You're a brave and lonely person to be using the word "Clueless" as it the system is proving to be stable and consistent

Work out the relevance yourself!

I am brave but not at all lonely.

Are you offering to be my friend? :p

Bee

P.S. Anyone aware of how many reboots of the S/W, Connex has had to do? I don't just mean the reboots that became public knowledge

Advertisement