Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ccoughlan and Johnny

Options
  • 16-07-2004 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Do members of this forum feel it was deceptive of the chairman of Johnny to post a thread about donating to them without stating on the thread that he was chairman ?

Let's debate this:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

nope, i dont think it was necessary to state it. Johnny (i have never heard of this org before) are i presume some kind of charity group that caters for gay men and/or women? i really know nothing about them.

as long as they are doing a good job and they are not miss using funds then i say fair fcuks to the guy for utilising any and all methods of communication in order to raise money. im not in anyway affiliated to johnny but if they do a good job then they should be supported.

would you have thought differently about donating money to the org if you knew that he was the chair? if so why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭HerrLipp

as long as they are doing a good job and they are not miss using funds then i say fair fcuks to the guy for utilising any and all methods of communication in order to raise money

(Balls, still have a few Concern leeches clung to me after my trip to town this morning.)

I think someone else summed it up perfectly earlier in the discussion "What's all this they they they shit?". The fact that he paid attention to changing his pronouns from "we to they" meant a deliberate misleading on his part not a simple oversight. His motives may be honourable but I think some questioning should be permitted.

ok......question........but i still dont see what the big deal is. i still dont see why this is deserving of a thread all to its self.

so he asked people to donate some money to the organisation that he is the chair of, so he didnt state he was the chair of the organisation. big whoop di do, where is the hassle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

To me it's like someone coming on to a forum and talking about this great new service for ironing your clothes. Someone gives a testimonail stating how great it is and how we should consider spending money on this service.

Then later you find out the person giving the testimonial is the CEO of the company.

This is the same thing as what happened here in the donations thread. And the pimping didn't stop there. This gay business network was then advertised which is being run by the same guy. Then he creates another thread advertising his new travel column in Free magazine.

I have nothing against Johnny coming on in an "official" capacity stating what they do and why we should consider donating money to them. But when a new poster comes to this forum and their 2nd post is talking about donating to a charity and which by the way their thread was phrased they lead us to believe they were some third party that checked them out and thought they deserved money I find that wrong.

While it's not an outright lie, it is deceiptful and sneaky and to me tarnishes Johnnys image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Originally posted by solice
    i still dont see why this is deserving of a thread all to its self

Because Mr Coughlan refuses to debate this in the other threads claiming the discussion to be off topic while at the same time making veiled insults. Since he didn't acknolwedge my request for an apology in his travel thread I decided to create an on-topic thread where this could be discussed.

• Advertisement

but all these issues were dealt with in the specific threads and some of them were locked for the reasons you just said. this thread seems is like tabloid sensationilsm (damn spellings). you are kicking him while he is down, let sleeping dogs lie.

personally i dont think it matters who it was that was asking for the money. fact was that somebody was and to be honest, we should all be damn glad that there are people like ccoughlan out there who want to help people and build up social networks for people. never met the guy, dont know who he is but i say well done to him. he is trying

to me it looks like you have a personal vendetta aganist coughlanc and you are using this thread to ridicule him. i might be way off but from reading previous posts you made in other threads you seem to want to make an example of coughlanc,

i really dont understand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

it looks to me like the attention wh0re is getting exactly what he wants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

i really dont understand
    Nor do I.

If you have a problem with another poster and the manner in which he posts then it is best to bring it up either privately with that individual or else bring it to our attention, or to the attention of the admins.

For our part, we have reviewed the threads to which you are referring and have dealt with them accordingly. For you to start up this thread not only are you implying that you think we should have done more, but that you are the one who should be taking it furthur. If this was indeed your aim then all I can say is that we (the mods) will decide whether or not it is appropriate that a poster have access to his area, and that if you have concerns, it is best to air them privately as opposed to publicly.

People have said that they want to move past the snide comments and the "bitchiness". That aim is hardly going to be achieved by starting threads such as this.

Let me be blunt. The next poster who starts a thread created solely to criticise or castigate another poster will pick up an immediate ban.

Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement