Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burglar Alarm?

Options
  • 15-07-2004 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Wasn't sure where to post this, so Mods, please move if necessary!
    I've just bought an apartment in Dublin1, and am looking to get a burglar alarm fitted. It's already wired, I just need someone to fit the box, points etc..

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a supplier (not too expensive, reliable ie not going off the whole time)? I checked in the Golden Pages online, and there's pages and pages of them, and tbh, I'm too damn lazy to ring around all day for quotes. If I could narrow it down to 3 or 4 that'd be great..

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers,

Kevin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jay567

I delt with a company called FOX alarms, they wherer excellent. Noticed they had done quite a bit around N dublin so went with them. Sure they are in yellow pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

Eircom Phonewatch do alarms for prewired homes as well as the fancy expensive wireless systems. They are not much more expensive than a regular alarm to get put in but you have the added benefit of having it connected to the monitoring station who can call the guards and they even call you on your mobile if it goes off. I have one and it is deadly. I can even switch on and off the alarm from any phone in the world just by ringing the house nad entering your code. Great for checking on the gaff when on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Phonewatch is pants.
    A friend of mine worked in that area in Eircom and they were always making jokes about how useless it was.
    Not to mention the Gardai HATING it. Call-outs for phonewatch are a very low priority for them.
    Neighbours can do the same job when you're on holiday.
    Just another Eircom moneyspinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

Well it worked for me, guards caught burglars on my property *twice* and recovered everything. This was a semi detached house in a culdesac and no one batted an eyelid when the alarm went off. Im certainly getting another one for my next house.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by JohnDigital
    Eircom Phonewatch do alarms for prewired homes as well as the fancy expensive wireless systems.
    My you sound like an eircom salesman there :D

There are many security companies that do alarm monitoring including AMS, Bell and Chubb. See also http://www.garda.ie/angarda/control.html

There are new regulations mentioned here: http://www.nsai.ie/Certification_Services/Security_Systems/IS_EN_50131_1.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement