Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky response about Stargate:SG-1 and Stargate:Atlantis

Options
  • 15-07-2004 1:45am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I e-mailed Sky One asking about their plans for Stargate:SG-1 and Stargate:Atlantis and here is what I got today:
    Thanks for your email about Stargate SG1 and Atlantis.

I am pleased to confirm that Sky One has acquired the rights to Stargate season 8. However, at present no schedule information is available.

Unfortunately, no information is available at present regarding the new series Atlantis.

Thanks once again for contacting Sky.

Kind regards

Margaret Tannock
    Viewer Relations

Neither good nor bad yet. Bit vague so far but I'm sure there's a good chance of Atlantis being picked up. Brief note about the Sci-Fi channel folks: the UK Sci-Fi channel is not really affiliated with the US Sci-Fi so it does not get any exclusive rights automatically, or is not guaranteed, to get Stargate: Atlantis just because it airs on that channel in the US.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

It doesnt soon good for atlantis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

As fun as it is to watch it on my laptop I prefer the TV. Here's hopin' they get Atlantis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

They're just holding off to see how it does here, which will be as good as Stargate rating-wise imho especially since they air one after the other, it'll just be delayed.
    First episode airs tomorrow so I'll throw up a mini review right after. One tabloid here already did a quick review and gave it a pick of the week award (and I've never seen them even mention SciFi before so that's promising).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by Raz
    As fun as it is to watch it on my laptop I prefer the TV. Here's hopin' they get Atlantis.

Connect your laptop to a TV, convert the episode to SVCD OR DVD and play on your dvd player or mod a x-box and play the divx/xvid on your tv :D
    problem solved

I personally use the x-box viewing method

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by Cabaal
    Connect your laptop to a TV, convert the episode to SVCD OR DVD and play on your dvd player or mod a x-box and play the divx/xvid on your tv :D
    problem solved
    Meh my GFX card has a TV out but the PC is about ten feet away from the TV. I'm told the signal degrades too much then to be of any use :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭David Stewart

The start date of Stargate SG1 on SKY will be based on the scheduled date for airing the season finale in the US. US shows tend to be showing in a 5 new episodes followed by 5 old episodes while in Europe the shows are broadcast in a complete run (with perhaps a break over Christmas). This is why most new seasons start here in January while the start in September/October in the US. Stargate is unusual in that it starts in the US in July. Sky will probably therefore start show SG1 in September so that the broadcast of the last episode here approximately coincides with the broadcast of the last ep over there.
    My gut feeling, and I've nothing to back this up, is that SKY will buy Stargate Atlantis and then sit on it until SG1's current season ends and then show it. I seem to remember they did something similar with ST:DS9 and ST:Voyager.
    Then again, C4 could buy Atlantis, which is OK if you have cable but bad luck if your on Sky Digital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Originally posted by Cabaal
    But you're assuming that the TV is better than laptop.
    I find it hard to believe that the TV over there is anything larger than a 14". Plus it doesn't have the definition or the flexibility of the laptop.

I therefore rephrase,
    As fun as it is to watch it on my laptop I prefer the BIG TV in my parents house where I stay at weekends . Here's hopin' they get Atlantis.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Sky may be waiting to see how it does ratings wise in the states. They've been burned a few times recently with the likes of Jake 2.0 which are cancelled just when Sky start showing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Atlantis is ment to be doing very well beating stargate sg1 into second place rateing wise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

ixoy wrote:
    Meh my GFX card has a TV out but the PC is about ten feet away from the TV. I'm told the signal degrades too much then to be of any use :(

Your told wrong.
    I've got TV-Out & sound card line-out run through about 15 feet of wires from PC to TV Scart input. Picture & sound are perfect. I used co-Ax for the video signal, I don't know if thats even neccessary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Sooner or Later

I hope Sky pick up Atlantis rather than Channel 4, given Channel 4's dreadful record with sci-fi in terms of both timeslots and editing (Angel being a case in point).

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Cabaal wrote:
    I personally use the x-box viewing method

Snap. Was worth modding the xbox for this usage alone.

Advertisement